If you are an Ex-Christian, did you ever partake of Communion while a Christian?

S/O question here. I was wondering about this because I had several opportunity's to take Communion while in Church as a Christian and each time I refused. I also endured the stony stares from those seated around me but was no where near enough to cause me to cave in. I just could not agree to what it represented when I still had a heart of doubt.

Has anyone else have a similar reaction when facing the choice of taking Communion?

isabellalecour

Asked by isabellalecour at 1:04 PM on Oct. 6, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I believe you did the right thing because we are not to partake of communion in an unworthy manner. If you did not believe the purpose then it would have been meaningless for you to partake.
    jessa1091

Answer by jessa1091 at 1:50 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• Before I knew what it was about yeah. It was like snack time in church but with grape juice and stale bread.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 1:06 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• I was raised Catholic, and even though I never truly believed any of it, I took communion, sure. Those little wafers were tasty! Actually, my dad would sometimes go to the monastry where they baked them, and get a bag of 'em before they were consecrated, and we'd eat them like chips in front of the tv, heh.
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 1:09 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• I was raised JW, they don't have Communion. So, no.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 1:08 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• I did when I was younger. Not that I fully knew what it meant. I was still a child so to me it meant snack time.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 2:27 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• I have always been an atheist, but when I was a kid, my mother made me go through bible study and confirmation and all of that, so she made me take communion. When I moved in with my dad, we occasionally took my grandmother to church, and my dad was fine with letting me stay seated while everyone else took communion. Nobody really gave me any funny looks about it.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 1:07 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• I was brought up Catholic, most of my family still is. I was baptized, did my first communion and confirmation, etc. So yes, I took communion. It wasn't till after I went to college that I started getting that gnawing "is god the adult version of Santa Claus?!?" feeling. Eventually I took the science route and haven't looked back. Now, it might feel weird to go back to church to take communion, but it wasn't strange for me at the time. I kind of liked how the wafer tasted.
    SabrinaBean

Answer by SabrinaBean at 1:10 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• yes, I have.
    Roadfamily6now

Answer by Roadfamily6now at 1:14 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• As a fomer Catolic, I can tell you that you are only not to take communion if you do not have a clear conscience and have not gone to confession. I have converted to Baptist, who also do communion and it is such a wonderful experience to feel close and one in a very spiritual way. If it is taken with the correct thinking, and taken seriously, it is a beautiful thing!
    Emymom5

Answer by Emymom5 at 1:19 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• yeah i did used to take communion back when i was very catholic and very into my religion. i did see the light though and realize that religion is BS. I still believe in God but Christianity is fucked up and based on lies and manipulation
    aliishott2

Answer by aliishott2 at 1:20 PM on Oct. 6, 2010