Premie Spits Up ALOT!!! Help!!

My baby was 5 weeks early and i was wondering what i can do for his spitting up. we have switched formula, nipples, bottles, even cut back on the oz we were feeding him. we have tried soy, sitting up for 30 mins and baby oatmeal! he pukes every burp and then keeps it coming for about 30 mins after eating. the doctor said i was over feeding him and that its nothing to worry about. im not worried about it i just hate haveing to hold a burp cloth 24/7 and changing his clothes and bedding after every feeding. its horrible. its not projectile but just pours out of his mouth. could it be a under developed stomach from being born so early or maybe some reflux. not sure if anyone else has this problem but please give me some suggestions! ps he also pukes up water so i dont think its a milk allergy.

hadleesmama

Asked by hadleesmama at 2:34 AM on Oct. 25, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My daughter was 4 weeks early and did the exact same thing. It just all of a sudden stopped one day; she was about 7 months old. It could be reflux and I swore at the time that it was. However, looking back on it now, I was over feeding her,
    rcbrown

Answer by rcbrown at 2:43 AM on Oct. 25, 2008

• i had that problem with my daughter and the dr said to try the nestle goodstart formula with whey instead of soy or milk based and it helped but it def. could be a reflux issue.
    burtney0921

Answer by burtney0921 at 2:47 AM on Oct. 25, 2008

• sounds like reflux to me - but my first son spit up all the time too and didn't have it! Its so hard to tell. As long as your LO seems to be comfortable and is gaining adequate weight - then I wouldn't worry too much (yeah right -huh). As far as all the xtra laundry - it never gets any better anyhow =)-soon it will b baby food everywhere and then later mud,blood and all else the world has to offer - it does suck to have to do all that changing but oh well - what ya gonna do? Congrats on your LO! My 5th is do anyday!
    mommyof5boys543

Answer by mommyof5boys543 at 9:28 AM on Oct. 25, 2008

• i have a dear friend, both of her twins did this, and wow, it was a chore, when they went in for their two month visit, the doctor had them sent in for a little baby surgery, it was an immature esophagus..
    sweetscrappin

Answer by sweetscrappin at 2:11 PM on Oct. 25, 2008

• My son was 6wks early and was in the nicu for 2wks. When he came home he did this too. So the dr. made him go for a upper GI when he was 1m old and he was diagnosed(SP?) with reflux. I had to give him .5 oz at a time and sit him up for 30min then give him more so each night time feeding took like 2hrs. And they put him on zantac it went away when he was like 5m with the zantac. Talk to your dr. about it.
    Anonymous

• When I first read this I thought maybe I posted a question about my son in the middle of the nigth and forgot LOL He was 5 weeks early too and did this too. We burp him every 1/2 ounce to an ounce and noticed a pretty big difference. We also noticed preemie nipples actually caused him to suck in more air and we switched to evenflo custom flow nipples which flow at a speed responsive to how your baby is sucking... AMAZING! I'd say now he only ralphs once every two days instead of at every feeding. I feel your pain, but remember he is still developing and playing catch up. There little muscle at the top of the esophugus that holds food down is immature to begin with. How much more underdeveloped is it on a preemie?
    humaniterian87

Answer by humaniterian87 at 4:19 PM on Oct. 25, 2008