my baby hates tummy time

when i put her on her tummy she gets so mad and screams at the top of her lungs but she will sleep on her tummy and be fine...idk what to do.

burtney0921

Asked by burtney0921 at 2:50 AM on Oct. 25, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I am guessing that you are putting her down flat on the floor for tummy time. That is too much for a lot of children, try working up to that. Try putting her on your chest in a reclined chair or putting her over your knees. Both of these positions get the same muscles working, but are just a little gentlier for the baby. Hope this helps!
    kboney29

Answer by kboney29 at 9:32 AM on Oct. 25, 2008

• pretty much all babies hate tummy time :) just do it for a few minutes at a time, several times a day. she won't be very happy, but she'll still be working the correct muscles. eventually she won't hate it anymore :)
    llansky

Answer by llansky at 2:51 AM on Oct. 25, 2008

• I agree with llansky. My son just turned 4 months and he absolutely HATES tummy time. I practically have to be on the floor next to him, showing him what to do. It's hillarious and my husband and I crack up everytime, but it's the only way we can get him to try it without screaming like a banshee. Good luck!
    zionsmamajmr

Answer by zionsmamajmr at 4:35 AM on Oct. 25, 2008

• This one is really hard for me too. My son hates HATES tummy time but what kinda helps is if you bring in their elbows really close to their body, kinda like them folding their arms and laying down on them, so that their kinda proping their upper body up. this is so their not face planting it.... i hope this kinda makes since. *good luck* alyssa
    botch

Answer by botch at 5:26 AM on Oct. 25, 2008

• My son was the same way. Try putting toys where she can see them especially one with a mirror, my activity mat has a mirror he could look at while on his tummy. Being able to see himself in a mirror and having me or my husband on the floor with him seemed to keep him happy for a few minutes. Good luck!!!
    Rachael420

Answer by Rachael420 at 8:43 AM on Oct. 25, 2008

• I agree with kboney29. You could also try a nursing pillow as support. http://www.thecozymecompany.com/images/how1-baby.jpg
    SewMomma

Answer by SewMomma at 10:23 AM on Oct. 25, 2008