Do you think protesting at a military funeral is protected by the 1st Amendment?

Do you think that people should be allowed to protest at a military funeral? Is it protected by the 1st Amendment?

xxlilmomma09

Asked by xxlilmomma09 at 1:07 PM on Oct. 6, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I personally do NOT think that protesters should be allowed to protest at a military funeral. I think it is a hate crime. Let the mourning family bury their loved one in peace.
    xxlilmomma09

Comment by xxlilmomma09 (original poster) at 1:07 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• Why would anyone protest at ANY funeral thats disrespectful to the person and their family no matter who they were.
    Misteh

Answer by Misteh at 1:08 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• it is, actually. we talked about this on here yesterday. as long as they aren't making any threats, they can flab their jabs with all the hate they want to. i think it's disgusting though.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 1:08 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• I don't think anyone should be allowed to protest at ANY funeral. How disrespectful to the family!
    Kword

Answer by Kword at 1:08 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• they shouldn't be able to....regardless of your feelings toward the military, that dosen't give you the right to protest a funeral of someone who died protectiong you (not YOU op but you know what i mean)
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 1:09 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• I dont think anyone should be allowed to protest any funeral let alone one of a military member. I totally agree with you. It makes me sick to my stomach to see this. My husband is in the military so this is a really touchy subject.
    foxracing43701

Answer by foxracing43701 at 1:10 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• It shouldn't be!! Those people are terrible!! How could you be any more disrespectful?? If it wasn't for those HEROS those aholes wouldn't even have to right to be so ignorant!!

Thy are also REALLY misinformed... GOD would NEVER tell someone to preach such hate. GOD would never "blame" the death of our men and women on the acceptance of gays in our country.. He teaches us to NOT judge, it is not our place. There is a special spot reserved in hell for these nut jobs!!
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Answer by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 1:10 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• It is protected by the first amendment. They are free to be jerks, as long as they aren't interfering with the funeral itself. I think it's disgusting - but even idiots have freedom. It's ironic that the very freedoms our veterans have fought for allows people to disrespect their funerals.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 1:11 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• it should be a hate crime, but unfortunately its not. ugh this outrages me so much! they would get shot if they spewed that crap at a military funeral around here.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 1:11 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• I think it is protected by the 1st Amendment, yes. However, that doesn't mean I don't think it's completely disrespectful, hateful, and inexcusable. Unfortunately, legally they have a right to flap their lips as much as they want to, as long as they're not threatening anybody.
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 1:11 PM on Oct. 6, 2010