Have you ever taken your toddler camping? How did you keep them engaged and entertained?

I took my first child before she was even a year and again the year after that. She did very well and loved every minute of it. We are planning another camping trip now that my oldest is 17 months. She is way more headstrong and hyper than my first child so I am a little worried about how it will go. Any advice or imput much appreciated. Thanks. :)

Kword

Asked by Kword at 1:07 PM on Oct. 6, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Right around 3 weeks old is when we started taking them camping for the first time. Side walk chalk, bikes, hikes, strolls, playing ball, playdough, bubbles. There is so much to do while camping to keep them busy. On rainy days we add movies and coloring to the mix.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 1:09 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• My kids have been camping since I was able to go myself around 6 weeks postpartum. We camp almost every weekend in the summer time and they LOVE it. We take bikes, bubbles, chalk, balls, tonka trucks and there is usually a beach where we go or a creek to splash in. Make sure to take some indoor things like crayons and books in case it is rainy. A few card games etc for the older ones. As long as it is warm and rainy we also go out and play in the rain. The kids love it. I make sure to take old clothes and often just toss them before we leave if they get too muddy in the rain.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 1:23 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• Just got back from camping with my 15 month old. He loooved it. I didnt have to do anything to keep him busy. He was busy exploring and playing in the sand. I brought his sand toys and he didnt even touch them. He jas just enjoying exploring. They will stay happier than you think :)
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 2:29 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• yep, all the time. we took walks, played on the playground, rode bikes, played toys...my kids were never bored, even when we'd camp for a week.
    Anonymous