main stream or spec school which is best

my lil guy is 6 and they tell me he is high funcution autism w/adhd&odd he seems to be doing ok so far in main stream w/12 kids in class just takes him longer to finish so they give him more time &send w/him to resourse centers to finish,then they load them down w/homework like math sheet w/100 add problems,spelling 10 words write 10 times each and reading,it only takes 3 hr to do math,all last week same daily 4 days none on fri.We have a school for children w/dissabilty.
i'm trying to find other moms opion MAIN STREAM OR SPECIAL SCHOOL as school only gets harder,any advice

redrose28379

Asked by redrose28379 at 2:55 AM on Oct. 25, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Geez !! That is WAY too much homework for any 6 year old !! And I say this as someone who has worked in schools for 24 years, as a secretary and as a preschool teacher, and who parented three children into full ride scholarships at difficult colleges ... and I homeschooled them sometimes ... and my husband has been a teacher for 23 years: public school, private waldorf school and homeschool program counselor. There's not enough space to say what needs to be said, ... if this is what your boy is going through in main stream school, get him out of there ! Get the other 6 year olds out of there, too ! I highly recommend Waldorf schools for every child, they know what they are doing and give children a chance to get balanced and to blossom. ... more later
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 3:04 AM on Oct. 25, 2008

• In mideastern Pennsylvania is a fantastic school for special needs kids. It is called Camphill Special School, Beaver Run. Their phone number is (610) 469-9236. This wonderful place exists for children who need more special care than their parents can manage and so they have to be institutionalized. So you don't need to send your child there, but they may have some very valuable advice about giving him what he needs to be happy. I heartily encourage you to phone them and pursue their help. He is counting on the grown-ups in his life to look outside the box for what he needs . Best wishes !!!
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 3:14 AM on Oct. 25, 2008

• That is entirely too much for any 6 year old much less one who is autistic. Sounds like to me the school is not sticking with the IEP and if you can't send him to the spec school then you can demand an early IEP and redo the work load. If he is struggling so much then he is spinning his wheels. Having a teen that is also a high functioning autistic myself I know your plight. You are his advocate and sometimes you have to ensure that his IEP reflect what is more suited to his needs. It is your right and sometimes it takes a little fight to get him on the right program. Don't let anyone intimidate you. I had that issue as well. But for the most part teachers are open to working with you to help him. Otherwise there is homeschool. We did a combination of both
    homeschool and mainstream. And he is doing pre-algebra now. Good luck if you want pm me.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 4:43 AM on Oct. 25, 2008

• That sounds like crazy hw for any 6 year old. Not to mention bad teaching, HW is to reinforce right how is doing 100 math problems truly reinforcing.
    BTW, this can be adressed through his IEP asking for accomodation. Such as less mathematical problems per page etc.
    Honestly mainstream or spec. school is an individual thing but if your son is high functioning and of normal intellegence I would con. with mainstreaming b/c (as a SPED teacher) I will tell you that he will not be held to the same standards in a SPED class.
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 4:51 PM on Oct. 25, 2008

• He can do it with adjustments and as I said this is INAPPROPIATE HW anyway.
    I would check your district policies on HW and if they don't have any arm yourself with research on what the app. amt of h.w. is for a 6 year old and what HW is truly for.
    THe prob. is sound more like bad teaching/school policy than your son. Have you talked to other parents to see how their kids are handling I bet yours is not the only one having issues.
    in other words the problem is most likely not him but the school/teacher
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 4:53 PM on Oct. 25, 2008

• MamiJaAyla you are awesome!!
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 5:25 PM on Oct. 25, 2008

• Kudos 2 u MamiJaAyla, I couldn't have said it better myself!
    LovingParent08

Answer by LovingParent08 at 10:59 PM on Oct. 25, 2008

• my 3 boys are on the autism spectrum. moderate wutism, high functioi8ning, SI*D, ADHD, I was told ODD- but it wasn't, but looked like it.

We homeschool, we tried public school but I didn't want my kids to be in all sped ed and meds- as I feel it all often becomes a crutch and I really don't think mainstream gives the best one on one and it's not always fair ti kids who don't need the spec ed stuff. (and I had 3 kids to deal with spec e3d and IEPs and meetings- it was just too much, we were never a family)we tried Pubblic for 2 yrs (both sepc ed and main stream)- so I have experienced both.
    Homeschooling has been more than wonderful for us.
    Kiter

Answer by Kiter at 11:15 PM on Oct. 25, 2008

• In our school system 10 minutes per grade is what a child should do for homework. 6 year olds should not be doing this much at all. You need to find out what is going on with the classroom. Take those homework assignments to the principal if you have already talked to the teacher. Even if he doesn't have an IEP, thats just too too much for that grade . He should have less than 30 minutes for homework. Just made me tired looking at what he is doing!
    Kat122

Answer by Kat122 at 9:23 AM on Oct. 26, 2008

• thanks all 4 your great replys,i will ask 4 another IEPschool just did one before all this homework started,got new problems this week,on bus last week someone hit him on bus and he doesn't tell i tell him too but he doesn't so i called school talked to them was told they would handle .Guess they forgot cause yesterday he got off bus mad and trying to hit bus as it pulled away,i think there was a problem in school anyway cause he had a note saying he had a bad day that's it he had a bad day,but on bus other kids throwing candy wrappers at him and told driver he was throwing at them when he told he got yelled at at you cann't yell at him.he wanted to ride bus home so it was ok last year he had older sister with him not this year so i guess i'll have to pick him up two.Does it ever get easy?
    redrose28379

Answer by redrose28379 at 6:01 AM on Nov. 4, 2008