I'm a first time mommy and everything seems to be going okay. I don't seem to get some of the things that people give me advice on. The doctor says to forget a schedule and throw out a routine but mommies everywhere say do it or you'll regret it. So to all the mommies out there what should I do? Also what's a normal and healthy diet? I find sometimes I feed him just fine. Then at other times he spits up cause I fed him too much. What's the deal?

Routine and Diet

Asked by Anonymous at 1:41 AM on Jun. 19, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Schedual wise- do whatever you want to do. My son never had a schedual but I was and still am a SAHM and I was there to feed him whenever he was hungry and put him to sleep whevever he was tired. A lot of mom like the routine feeding at 6,bath at 7 bed at 8. Do whatever is you feel comfortable with. As for feedings go, I don't really know what to tell you, sorry.

Answer by Fala at 1:45 AM on Jun. 19, 2008

• Scheduling kids, is like trying to put lipstick on a pig. It doesn't work. Go with the flow, and a "schedule" will come to you.

Answer by kellimom at 1:47 AM on Jun. 19, 2008

• listen to the girls above me lol i tried to put my daughter on a schedule and it was worse then ever...eventually you will come to find that your baby will put themselves on a schedule. and the spitting up dont worry about it my daughter spit up at every feeding until about a month ago and i took her in numerous times thinking i was doing something wrong. its just some babies are more sensitive. i even switched formula and it didnt change anything. im sure you are doing a great job and when people give you stupid advice just nod and say ok lol!

Answer by mama_smurf_555 at 1:59 AM on Jun. 19, 2008

• My baby is on a FLEXIBLE schedule that works great for both of us. Its just basically a two-and-a-half to three hour routine that repeats itself throughout the day. She eats, then has awake/activity time for about an hour to an hour and a half, then naps until she's hungry again and we start over. However I dont let her go longer than three hours between feedings during the day or else she sleeps all day and stays up all night. The biggest reason i wanted to have a routine is because almost everything I read had statistics of babies on schedules that slept through the night much earlier than on-demand babies, and my daughter is already sleeping through the night at eight weeks old. It was a little rough getting her on the schedule at first but it only took a few days and she's much happier because she always knows what to expect, as do I, and I ALWAYS know when something is wrong, for example if she cries more than usual or wont sleep, because she is so used to her schedule.

Answer by kate_jocelyn at 2:02 AM on Jun. 19, 2008

• Spitting up doesn't always mean you fed him too much. Spitting up in an infant is actually their inability to control their gag reflex. When an adult burps sometimes you get that gross feeling like you might throw up a little in your mouth but you can shut it off...well babies can't turn that off. As for routine, its very hard to get a baby on a routine. My pedi wants her on a 2 nap bedtime routine. We have her on a sleep when you are tired routine. Its a demand feeding, demand sleeping, routine bedtime schedule. I am an absolute advocate for the bed time will save you some hairs as you pull the rest out. Our's is a bottle, warm bath, lotion, read a book, cuddle/rock, and off to bed for 6-8 hours. Works like a champ every time.

Answer by HeatherTurner at 2:18 AM on Jun. 19, 2008

• Your baby will fall into her own routine. Usually they do this around 8 weeks and you'll notice it. It's ok to have a routine but don't put your self or your baby on a schedule because you'll because a slave to the clock. If you are breastfeeding FEED ON DEMAND. NO MATTER WHAT ANYONE OR ANY BOOK TELLS YOU!!!! You will mess up your supply. Feed your baby when he is hungry. Also your baby will sleep though the night when he's ready whether you scedule or not. DO NOT FALL VICTUM TO BABY WISE!!!! Follow your insticts momma!

Answer by miasmommy21407 at 3:10 AM on Jun. 19, 2008

• My DD has pretty much put herself on a schedule over time. I didn't force it.

Answer by hohaas at 10:34 AM on Jun. 19, 2008

• I agree with the people above trying to schedule your infant is really hard, but if you follow her cues she will develop her own rough schedule. The bedtime routine is a good idea though, because it cues them in to bed, and makes the transition easier.

Answer by Anna_2250 at 10:46 AM on Jun. 19, 2008

• If you create a routine around bedtime, it will be make sleeping easier on everyone. Bath. pjs, feeding, book, or something like that. Just let your baby know it is bedtime. As far as feeding goes, babies go through growth spurts at unpredictable times so they may be really hungry today, and not as much tomorrow. As your baby gets older he/she will kind of get used to doing things one way and that will be the way he/she likes it. Children, in general, thrive with order, so they will create some that they can handle. My daughter is 4 months old now. Goes to sleep at the same time, naps at the same time, eats at the same time. I never pushed it, she just adapted to it.

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 11:41 AM on Jun. 19, 2008

• It's not so much a schedule as a routine. Who cares what your Dr says, Mom's know what works for them. Doctors are always being told misinformation from the medical field. Maybe some don't even have kids? Kids need stability and routine and comfort and security.