When did you deide your baby was ready for the cryout method?

I dont feel my 8.5 month old son is ready, but I was just curious because readin other questions i read some people did it as early as 7 months.

JenKT

Asked by JenKT at 10:22 PM on Jul. 2, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I did it from the beginning...but then again I'm talking 10 minutes letting them be...especially when I knew they were tried and just need to sleep, I'm not talking about when they needed to be feed, or change, just when they were sleeping and me holding them was keeping them up....

As they got older the max time I would give them was 20 minutes.....

SAHMinIL

Answer by SAHMinIL at 10:28 PM on Jul. 2, 2008

• I did it a 9 months because I couldn't take it any more. Get the book Babywise. If I had had that book I would have done it right from the get go! It would have been easier in the long run!
    Simonsmama

Answer by Simonsmama at 11:25 PM on Jul. 2, 2008

• I did it at 9 months I decided to do it because he was waking up 3-4 times a night. It was the best thing we did. It only took 2 nights and now he is sleeping through the night. Totally worth it, it wasnt the easist thing to do but it wasn't as bad as we thought it would be. Now we are all getting good sleep and it makes life so much better!
    babyblake0810

Answer by babyblake0810 at 4:23 AM on Jul. 3, 2008

• I also did it from the beginning with all of my kids. I learned what the crys sounded like. If they are just fussing and tired, I let them go. If they are NOT going to go back to sleep, they had a different cry. When they are tired, they sleep. Usually only cry for a minute or 2. Good luck though. Is hard at first.
    drowninginboys

Answer by drowninginboys at 10:40 AM on Jul. 3, 2008

• I did it from the beginning to and it was reinforced by my husbands cousin, he said in the parenting class he took that it was ok. But as long as I know that they are fed diapered and comforted to the best of my abilities they are ok. Usually its just fussiness from being tired, within 10 minutes he is fast asleep
    donna1972

Answer by donna1972 at 10:43 AM on Jul. 3, 2008

• I started it when mine were 6 months old because I had read that that's about the age when they start knowing how to get their way. "If I cry really hard, mommy will come pick me up." I definately still checked in on them every 10 minutes or so to be sure they didn't have a dirty diaper or have a blanket on their face or their arm caught in the crib railing.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 11:05 AM on Jul. 3, 2008

• From the beginning. I used the Babywise method. If they're fed, dry, not sick or in pain, there's no reason for them to be picked up and held all the time for every cry.I did check on them though and soothed them without picking them up every 10 to 15 minutes.Both of mine slept through the night before 3 months, always slept in their own bed, and to this day at 6 and 8 continue to nap on a regular basis. They were very healthy, happy babies.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 11:13 AM on Jul. 3, 2008

• I did it from the begining. She started sleeping through the night at around 2 to 21/2 months old. Its what worked for us.. She would cry for maybe five minutes and then fall asleep. We did have a week where she was teething and it got kind of difficult, but we used the ferber method and she got right back on track in a day! Her doc had suggested the ferber method when we were having issues that one week.
    Cmyfantasyworld

Answer by Cmyfantasyworld at 11:48 AM on Jul. 3, 2008

• With my oldest we did it at about 5months but in the night we would give her a bottle then leave. If she stayed up after the bottle then we did the cry out. We are not able to do the cry out with my son yet who is 11 months. He does not know how to self-sooth and will just scream. A few time we have tried the cry out with him (peeking in every 20 mins or so) and he literally screamed bloody murder for 4 hours. I think it depends alot on the children and their personalities.
    Anonymous

• Honestly I never decided that he was ready, and I'll never decide that with my daughter either. I honestly don't think it's necessary despite what so many other say. My son has never needed to "cry it out"
    Anonymous