how many years do you need to be married to be entitled to spousal support?

mountainLady62

Asked by mountainLady62 at 1:23 PM on Oct. 6, 2010 in Relationships

• I think there are a lot more factors than time that go in there. I know of more than once case where people were able to receive "spousal" support without ever actually legally being married... Others who were together for 10+ years that never got it.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 1:26 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• In CA, spousal support is automatic after 7 years of marriage. Before that, it was be requested, but it's up to the individual case whether it's granted or not.
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 1:26 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• In Pa spousal support goes by income and many other factors. Like who worked fulltime, parttime, sahm, etc. It doesn't go by how longer you where together.
    crazymomof4787

Answer by crazymomof4787 at 1:29 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• IDK, I've never known anyone who has gotten it
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 1:30 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• It varies from state to state. And I'm not even sure that all states do spousal support anymore. Not sure, though. I would maybe call a lawyer in your state and ask them. They should know.
    QueenMomma2023

Answer by QueenMomma2023 at 1:32 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• Geminilove-NOT true...i just contacted a divorce attny, we've only been married for almost 6 years now( 6 years in december) and my attorney said that I would get spousal support and child support.

So OP I think your best bet is to ask an attorney for YOUR state.
    anikahaynes1

Answer by anikahaynes1 at 1:33 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• Actually, although in PA spousal support does depend on many factors as to if you get it, abd how much you get, the length of time is typically 1 year of support for every 3 years married.
    Candi1024

Answer by Candi1024 at 1:35 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• I was married for less than 4 years, I was awarded spousal support. I live in California. You need to talk to a lawyer. Most do a free consultation
    stressedmomma13

Answer by stressedmomma13 at 12:28 AM on Oct. 7, 2010