Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

how many years do you need to be married to be entitled to spousal support?

Answer Question

Asked by mountainLady62 at 1:23 PM on Oct. 6, 2010 in Relationships

Level 2 (5 Credits)
Answers (8)
  • I think there are a lot more factors than time that go in there. I know of more than once case where people were able to receive "spousal" support without ever actually legally being married... Others who were together for 10+ years that never got it.

    Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 1:26 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

  • In CA, spousal support is automatic after 7 years of marriage. Before that, it was be requested, but it's up to the individual case whether it's granted or not.

    Answer by geminilove at 1:26 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

  • In Pa spousal support goes by income and many other factors. Like who worked fulltime, parttime, sahm, etc. It doesn't go by how longer you where together.

    Answer by crazymomof4787 at 1:29 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

  • IDK, I've never known anyone who has gotten it

    Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 1:30 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

  • It varies from state to state. And I'm not even sure that all states do spousal support anymore. Not sure, though. I would maybe call a lawyer in your state and ask them. They should know.

    Answer by QueenMomma2023 at 1:32 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

  • Geminilove-NOT true...i just contacted a divorce attny, we've only been married for almost 6 years now( 6 years in december) and my attorney said that I would get spousal support and child support.

    So OP I think your best bet is to ask an attorney for YOUR state.

    Answer by anikahaynes1 at 1:33 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

  • Actually, although in PA spousal support does depend on many factors as to if you get it, abd how much you get, the length of time is typically 1 year of support for every 3 years married.

    Answer by Candi1024 at 1:35 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

  • I was married for less than 4 years, I was awarded spousal support. I live in California. You need to talk to a lawyer. Most do a free consultation

    Answer by stressedmomma13 at 12:28 AM on Oct. 7, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.