Would you buy a video chat for your television?

Basically a box that you hook to your television (similar in size to a dvd player) that allows you to have video chat to family members that live across the country, for example?

If yes, would you pay $600 for the device and $25/month for the service?

Just doing research.... thanks for all of your input!

sherribeare

Asked by sherribeare at 1:42 PM on Oct. 6, 2010 in Shopping

• If I wanted that big of a screen, I would just hook my laptop, or even an old desktop tower, up to my TV and use the TV as a monitor. That just seems really expensive to me. I could see where people who weren't very tech-savvy might like the ease of use, but there is no way I would pay that much for a service like that.
    andrea96

Answer by andrea96 at 2:11 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• No, I would not. I don't currently have a need to do this, but even if I did, I would just use a free service online.
    andrea96

Answer by andrea96 at 2:01 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• No. I can do that on my computer for free. My son does this with his friends everyday. All the kids do. It's called skype.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:14 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• NO
    ginabear1

Answer by ginabear1 at 2:41 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• No. My husband hooked up the Mac Mini to our TV so that we can watch cable shows without having cable. Hulu.com, etc. So we just hook up the webcam to the Mac Mini and use skype. The webcam was around $90-100 and there is no monthly fee other than our internet bill. If we didn't have the Mac Mini hooked up to the TV then we would just skype using the computer monitor.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 3:21 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• no
    canta1980

Answer by canta1980 at 7:44 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• The company's vision for this product is that people will feel like they are actually visiting each other if the video is on the big screen tv, for example.......
    sherribeare

Comment by sherribeare (original poster) at 2:03 PM on Oct. 6, 2010