Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

how can i get my son's father to give up his rights??

i have a 2 year old son and his father hasn't been in his life at all ever since he was engaged and we're expecting a baby next year 2011 he's in the military and were getting married this November and he wants to adopt my son. His father has a criminal record,stole cars',has been in jail. I just want whats best for my son.

Answer Question

Asked by miss_playboy at 1:44 PM on Oct. 6, 2010 in General Parenting

Level 1 (2 Credits)
Answers (10)
  • I think you can take him to court to have that done.

    Answer by Gremlyn1980 at 1:45 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

  • Unless you can get him to agree to give up his rights you will have to take him to court to prove that he is an unfit role model in yours sons like. That he will be more harm than good to your son.

    Answer by Misteh at 1:47 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

  • Unless he willingly signs over rights, no judge is going to take his rights away without a really good reason and the things you listed are not good enough reasons.

    Answer by Jademom07 at 1:47 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

  • I just fillout thee paper work at the court. When he had our appointment the father never went so they gave me full and sole custody of my daughter. He lost all his right as a father. Now my dh wants to adopt my daughter but we haven't been married a year and that's one of the requierments. Just do the paper work at court and start on that first step.

    Answer by sweetyazfl at 1:48 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

  • I wouldn't do that to my kids. They have a right to their father, even if he is a bum.

    Answer by mom2queenie2004 at 1:50 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

  • Sue him for child support, when he gives his rights up, he doesn't have to pay.

    Answer by Shanna84 at 1:54 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

  • First off just ask him. Then tell him that you are thinking of filing for child support ask if that changes his mind. An above poster mentioned that the kids have a right to their father. They sure do but it is not taking away their rights. They could still develop a relationship he just would not have legal rights over them.

    Answer by Melbornj at 2:00 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

  • I believe that if your son is 2 years old and his biological father has NEVER been in his life, isn't that considered abandonment and can't you get his parental rights severed just for that? Check with the laws in your state and go from there.

    Answer by QueenMomma2023 at 2:02 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

  • Try getting advice from a pro bono attorney in your area. Just google where you live and the words 'legal aide' and you should get a toll free or local # for free attorney's. You'll probably have to go for sole custody first off. But an attorney's advice would be your BEST bet as far as obtaining information on the process and procedure. Good luck. I too am going through something similar and I understand what a pain in the backside it can be.

    Answer by Nanixh at 2:13 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

  • Once you get married, and your new husband agrees to adopt your son, go to an attorney and they will help you with the paperwork. Your son's father will be sent paperwork to sign over his rights.

    Answer by jacksmom3707 at 2:40 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.

Next question in General Parenting
What is the difference between

Next question overall (Trying to Conceive)