How to get my two year old to listen!

my two year old daughter wont listen to me, she recently started telling me to hush and throws things at me.. i dont throw anything i dont know where shes getting her attitude from. she jumps over the coaches and tables.. driving me nuts.. what is the best way to get her to behave!(some people say to tap her on her hands to stop) but i dont like that.. i also dont believe in yelling .. am due in two weeks and i really dont wanna deal with this and a new baby all at once.. any ideas!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:54 PM on Oct. 6, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Time out worked wonders for my two year old.
    Misteh

Answer by Misteh at 1:56 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• Nose in the corner does wonders for my son. You need to be consistent otherwise she will walk all over you. It sounds like you already let her, to be honest.
    MommySwiggles

Answer by MommySwiggles at 1:57 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• if i started doing time out or nose in the corner how long should i let it go on for! i honestly have no clue how to start!
    Layan82

Answer by Layan82 at 1:59 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• I'm in the same boat as you. I have a 2 yr old daughter and she throws fits all the time. I just recently started to put her in the corner til she is calmed down once that happens I then explain to her why she went into the corner.

My SIL told me to put her in the corner for 2 mins. that didn't work for me.
    halfpint2000

Answer by halfpint2000 at 2:02 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• you do a minute for every year of age... so 2 years old, 2 minutes... if she is like 2.5 closer to 3, I would just do 3 minutes. You need to get down to her level, tell her what she did wrong and that she needs a time out. Put her in time out, if she gets up, put her back. It will seem redundant, but she will get it, you just have to stick with it. Show her who is the boss of the house.
    MommySwiggles

Answer by MommySwiggles at 2:06 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• Actions speak far louder than words with a toddler...if she isn't listening then you physically need to get up and remove her from the situation. get down on her level look her in the eyes and tell her that she isn't allowed to do that and then tell her what she can do instead. ( easier said than done in your last trimester). Keep her engaged in useful and helpful activities when the new baby comes...put diapers wipes blankets etc on toddler level and ask her for her help with the baby regularly. Teach her a lullaby that she can sing to baby....nothing calms my baby like the sound of mt toddlers voice. Get her a doll with blankets bottles and a bed so she can play pretend. Read positive discipline for toddlers....I don't agree with everything but it is definitely a useful read. Good luck
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 2:08 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• You also needed a designated time out spot. We have a bench. Some people use a rug. That way the child associates the spot with a time out and not play time.
    SusanEllen

Answer by SusanEllen at 2:43 PM on Oct. 6, 2010