Temperatures??? adult content

I have been told (and read) that you can possibly be pregnant if your temperatures rise and stay elevated following ovulation and past your expected period.
Can your temp fluctuate a degree up or down and possibly be pregnant? I had previously thought that your temp climbed and stayed up there....but, it doesn't say how much your temp can fluctuate either?

miraclewaits

Asked by miraclewaits at 2:17 PM on Oct. 6, 2010 in Trying to Conceive

• The key with temping is to look for trends. One off temp doesn't mean anything. My basal body temp before ovulation, for instance, is usually 96-96.8, and goes up after ovulation to 97-97.5. There's a little bit of fluctuation, but the average goes up, if that makes sense. Like I know, after years of charting, that if my temp drops below 97, I'm going to start my period that day or the next. That's the cut-off for my body.

No one's basal body temp is going to be exactly the same every single day; fluctuation is normal. Usually it's closer to 1/2 degree, though a whole degree may be possible. If you've been charting, and you got the sustained upward shift that means that you did, for sure, ovulate, then if it goes down that much, it probably means you're not pregnant. If you have not seen a sustained shift yet, then if it's fluctuating pretty regularly, you probably haven't even ovulated.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 2:32 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• bump!
    RachelleNH

Answer by RachelleNH at 2:18 PM on Oct. 6, 2010