Is my son's teacher picking on him??

My son (2nd grade) who has not got in trouble in K or 1st, is now getting yellow cards almost EVERYDAY. His teacher says it's because he distracts other in class & acts "too silly". He gets all of his work down, I never have a problem with him doing his homework. He does get distracted..I can see that, but now the teacher moved ONLY him to the back of the class & everyone else has partners but him. He feels bad anout this. He is respectful, polite, he just gets silly & distracted sometimes. Now, the teacher gives him yellow card for everything...one day for caughing loud, chatting..he told me last night that he feels he cant do anything. We had to fill out a "goal sheet" before we go to confrence tomorrow night. One of the questions that he had to fillout..it asked "What is one thing that the teacher can do to help u w/ your goal? he wrote : I wish my teacher would notice when I do something good. I almost cried! Any advice?

proud_mom17

Asked by proud_mom17 at 2:24 PM on Oct. 6, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Well you aren't there so you don't know if he is telling you the truth on what happened. It sounds to me like he is a serious distraction to the class and she just wants him to straighten up. I would have a talk with him and tell him he needs to not talk or be silly in class.
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 2:28 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• talk to the person that is running the school.. i had a teacher like this in hight school no matter what i did he was not happy with me..it went to the point were i was in the office everyday for his class..just talk to her and see if you can sit in the class one day or just pop in and see if she is treating him any different
    liljess09

Answer by liljess09 at 2:28 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• I am having an VERY similar problem with my sons teacher and I'm seriously about to punch her. I know its not the thing to do but she is not fit to be teaching. She was hired in place of my sons teacher that we picked for him because of budget crap in our county. She doesn't grade thier homework, she doesn't check thier planners and then she puts him alone, he is VERY smart and does his work yet she still finds a reason to get mad at him. I understand your feeling and I'm about to loose it so good luck with yours!
    bjojola

Answer by bjojola at 2:29 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• I would flat out ask her. Teachers do develop favorites, even though they are supposed to be unbiased. I guess listen to her concerns, tell her what your son wrote and if the problem continues go to the principal, superintendant, or see if he can switch teachers. That's bs to isolate him.
    Shanna84

Answer by Shanna84 at 2:29 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• you need top talk to the teacher. I feel so bad for him. Do you think he maybe just is bored wiith the work. Maybe he finishes because it may not be challenging enough for him? anyway you and your child should sit down and talk to the teacher and tell her how he feels. My son was the same way.. some kids get good grades and then the teacher just expects the good grades and forgets he is still a child and needs a little encouragement
    Marinemom03

Answer by Marinemom03 at 2:30 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• I think you should speak to the teacher before you assume either way. He could be a lot more distracting and silly this year, and my not understand why it's a problem. The teacher has to make sure ALL the kids are able to learn and get good grades, not just him. And it would be good to speak to the teacher to feel it out in case it is the teacher's deal. It could be a mixture of both!
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 2:32 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• Why the heck would the teacher move him to the BACK of the class if she feels he is having behavior issues? Seems the logical thing to do is keep him up front by her. Thats where I would start mom. Putting him in back and away from his classmates is only asking for more distraction on his part. Discuss all of this with teacher tomorrow night and good luck
    beyondhopes

Answer by beyondhopes at 2:32 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• Good!! I'm glad he put that. Too often teachers do single kids out for no reason!!! I would talk to his 1st grade teacher and see how he was in her class,same with kindergarten. Then u will know for sure,if he is being singled out. My son had the same problem in the same grade and it turns out that she was a bitch!! According to the other teachers,and they were right she is a bitch!!!! They would actually say she needs to get some sex!!!!
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 2:35 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• I think maybe you need to make an appointment to talk to the teacher and principal without your son being there. You need to bring that paper in, and bring to their attention how he feels, and ask why in the hell she gave him a yellow card for coughing. That's just outrageous, and I would be very pissed off. It sounds like she is picking on your son, and it needs to stop. If she can't leave him alone, then she either needs to be replaced, or your son needs to be moved into a different class with a better teacher. Makes me wonder if she is doing this to any other kids, or if she is just singling him out for whatever b.s reasons she thinks she has. Seriously though, talk to the principal about it, because your son shouldn't be treated like that

Punky_1981

Answer by Punky_1981 at 2:41 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• When kids are in kinder they are a people pleaser and somewhat in 1st grade also but as they get to 2nd grade alot of times they like to act like a clown to make the other kids laugh. The reason they move the kids to the back of the room is to get the childs behavior out of the view of the other kids so they can learn. You may not be hearing the whole story from your child. I didn't always get the whole story from mine. Talk to the teacher and give her the benefit of the doubt. Could be that your child is just in the clowning stage. :)
    pebbles4630

Answer by pebbles4630 at 2:49 PM on Oct. 6, 2010