Should there be a punishment for my 13yr. old cutting her own hair ?

I try to let my daughter express herself creativity through her appearance as long as it doesn't go to overboard.But a couple of weeks ago I paid for her hair cut and she loved it. But then last week she spent the night at a friends at let HER cut it.It was pretty choppy but I tried to put on a smile and tell her it was OK. But I told her no more cutting your own hair. I have this feeling she is trying to look just like one of her friends ...who I'm sorry to say looks well a mess. Her friends father allows her to CAKE on make-up.get ANY piercings she wants all over her face and she has cut her own hair so many times she almost has bald spots!(she is also 13) Well my daughter came to me and asked for the scissors last night and I said "no way,you are not cutting your hair again" and she swoar it was to cut something off her back pack. But when I got up this morning and looked in the trash there was a bag FULL of her hair!

flowerchid72

Asked by flowerchid72 at 2:37 PM on Oct. 6, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• Oh that's tough, because I fell as well that kids should be entitled to experiement and use their creativity to create their own sense of self. (my oldest shaved his head last year for football initiation and I had no idea until he came home - I was horrified and sad at the same time)

I don't know that I would punish her just yet, but I would sit her down and talk to her about it. Not only about her lying (and maybe that's where the punishment should lie), but also about the concern you have with the direction she's taking. We all want our kids to have their own personalities and too come into their own skin happy and confident. We always talk about not worrying about what others think of you and be yourself, but its also important to understand how something are perceived and they will have a real impact on your life depending on the direction and persona you want to convey to other people. I'd probably start there.
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 2:42 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• Take lots of pictures of her as her hair is now,lol... One day she will look back and say WTH was I thinking?lol
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 2:42 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• She is learning how to express herself... let her, I know it's hard to watch sometimes, but as long as she isn't hurting herself or dressing like a hoochie who cares.... GL
    June_Mama09

Answer by June_Mama09 at 2:39 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• I agree that there is probably an underlying issue. She seems to be acting out and not just expressing herself. I did the same thing when I was a teen. And I was punished for it...in addition to having to look at myself afterward. And I never did it again! When she cut her hair AFTER you told her not to, that was disrespectful AND dishonest.
    SusanEllen

Answer by SusanEllen at 2:45 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• It is HER hair! I say let her do what she wants with it. It will always grow back.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 2:38 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• I used to cut my hair all the time. It's normal, it's a girl thing. It's her hair. I don't think you should punish her.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:43 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• If she messes it up , she'll have no one to blame but her self. Let her learn. Hair is for a lot of people a form of expressing themselves, it's the one thing they have control over. why do you think they shave your head in the military? To strip you of your identity.

prettymama0607

Answer by prettymama0607 at 2:46 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• I agree with the knowledgeable sleepingbeautee!!!

Answer by older at 2:39 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• When my sister did that to her hair my dad put it in a zip lock bag and hung it around her neck then took her to the mall to walk around for a few hours with the bag of hair around her neck lol
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 2:40 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• Let her cut it. When she screws it up, she won't be cutting anymore.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 2:44 PM on Oct. 6, 2010