To Vaccinate or Not To Vaccinate?

I am so torn on this subject. I think I am 100% not getting my girls' a flu shot (ages 10 months and 2.5 years), formaldehyde and mercury sound extremely terrifying to me, but what about the rest of the vaccines that a few of my friends are deeming "evil?" My girls are current on their vaccinations and never experienced noticeable side-effects to my knowledge. However, my 10-month-old has been on-and-off sick with a cough almost since birth, but that is the extent of our health issues.

Does anyone have REPUTABLE sites/sources backing up their beliefs regarding vaccines? I don't want to jump on the non-vaccination bandwagon if it is just some silly trend that is happening.

To sum up:
1. What is your belief on the issue?
2. What are your sources?
3. Why does this seem to be a new issue? Do the vaccines have different ingredients from when we were children?

Biz1985

Asked by Biz1985 at 2:37 PM on Oct. 6, 2010 in Health

• I have always vaccinated. I do, however, hold off on the flu shot. I don't even get one, so I am not going to make my kids. My sources? The CDC, AAP, and my own experiences and my kids. None of us have ever gotten autism or any other bad side effect from it, it has only done it's job, to prevent us from getting the illness it was created to prevent. I'm not saying the non-vax moms are crazy or liars, that is their perogative. Mine is to vaccinate, hate me all you want, but I feel vaccinating is healthy.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 2:41 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• I believe in the delay and space method. Meaning they will get them. Except the Gardasil and flu. BUT, it won't start until 1.5 or 2 years.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 2:43 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• I do it. All of em, even flu. I don't believe it's a source to Autism either.
    Chell.o_0

Answer by Chell.o_0 at 2:45 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• While I choose to vaccinate, I believe that vaccinating (or not) is a personal choice and you need to do what you feel is right. If you are unsure, I would suggest you talk to your doctor, find information about the different vaccines- what they are for, what they contain- the "pros/cons" of it all. Then once you have facts, you can make your decision. You can also talk to your doctor about spacing or delaying vaccines--- example if your child is due for 4 vaccines ask that they do them on 4 separate visits instead of all at once.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 2:47 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• I have always believed in vaccinating my children and grandchildren. When my children were growing up, it really wasn't an option, as far as I know. We always just did it. My children never experienced any issues as well as anyone I knew personally.

If you are seeking to make an informed choice, I would just tell you to do plenty of research from all angles. Make sure you research the importance of vaccines, including what it would mean for your child to catch one of those diseases, then compare it to the statistics. I tell you to do this because reading one source is never enough.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 2:48 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• I do not vaccinate. The only source I have right at hand is the fact that my daughter almost died from a vaccine reaction at the age of three months old. I did a lot of research (which are on my other computer at the moment) and decided to never again vaccinate her or any of my other children. Her twins sister also had a reaction, but not as severe as hers. My 3 y/o has never been vaccinated, and neither will my new baby. And I don't think it's really a "new" issue...but the issue is the amount of vaccines they get now....36 in the first two years compared to ten in the first two years when I was a baby. Big difference.
    fallnangel93

Answer by fallnangel93 at 3:11 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• i am all for vaccinating, but the flu shot is one that no one in my house will ever get while they are living under my roof. the flu shot is bad, now since mixing the regular and h1n1 how do they know what side effects people could have 10, 20, 30 years down the road? no thank you! we are not guinea pigs! if you are unsure about it, just do not get it, especially if you and your family are healthy otherwise. not to mention, it only covers a few random strains, and every year there are way more strains and there is no telling what strains will be prevalent - it is not a guanrantee that you will not get the flu, it is just "if you get the strain it covers it won't be so bad". pretty dumb if you ask me. nope, no flu shots.
    Anonymous

• we have been spacing them out and delaying them. My DS will not get the flu shot (I don't get it and DH only gets it because he has to). The only other vaccine we are trying to totally avoid is varicella..I would like him to be naturally exposed (yes bash away).
    mag12305cmg

Answer by mag12305cmg at 4:52 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• lol, I am not a basher! I'm genuinely interested in all the viewpoints. I am going to have to look up the varicella! I haven't specifically heard of that one... Isn't that terrible? Ugh. I feel like the worst mom in the world for not paying attention to what is being put in my children.
    Biz1985

Comment by Biz1985 (original poster) at 5:28 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• I have to vaccinate my children or they will not be allowed to attend public school, I had to provide shot records and make sure they were all up to date prior to enrollment. I didn't think there was another option?
    Bubbie0809

Answer by Bubbie0809 at 6:15 PM on Oct. 6, 2010