• In the Spotlight:

stretch marks on teens

my daughter is 15 she has not gained a lot of weight quick or really at all but she keeps getting stretch marks. really big deep red ones all over her stomach, legs, back, & breast. obviously this is very hard on the self esteem. should i be worried?

lei73

Asked by lei73 at 2:58 PM on Oct. 6, 2010 in Kids' Health

• I got them as a very young teen. At 15, even if you don't gain weight, the way your body is shaped is changing from a girl's to a woman's. My doctor told me to drink TONS of water, take multivitamins daily, eat more meat than usual because the protein in it makes your skin stronger, and use a good rich lotion. And reassure her that they will fade pretty quickly.
    KA91

Answer by KA91 at 3:13 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• she needs to take multi vitamins and drink lots of water. weak skin is prone to stretch marks no matter what your body type is
    aliishott2

Answer by aliishott2 at 3:00 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• As the others said, it happens even when not gaining weight....if your daughter is growing (which, at 15 she is), it's possible her bones are getting bigger and her skin is trying to catch up. Lots of water, a multi-vitamin and some vitamin E oil and/or cream to rub into the stretch marks.
    mainemusicmaker

Answer by mainemusicmaker at 5:25 AM on Oct. 7, 2010

• I got them as a teen. I hated it, I called it my bacon. I remember a lot of girls had them.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:01 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• Even when you don't gain a lot of weight the shape of your body changes at that age. I got more stretch marks when I developed a figure than I did with my first pregnancy. You might talk to her doctor or dermatologist since they are fairly significant and hurting her self esteem. A dermatologist should be able to recommend the best type of skin care for her, and you can also buy over-the-counter stretch mark or scar creams like Mederma. I don't think the stretch marks themselves are anything to be worried about, but a young girl's self esteem can be delicate.

TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 3:11 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• I would make an appointment with her doctor to figure out why the marks are showing up if she's not gaining weight.
    WomanWitty

Answer by WomanWitty at 11:22 AM on Oct. 12, 2010