Playground watchfulness

We take our son (3 1/2) to this playground in town every now and then. It's a nice playground, with the rubber padding (except around the swings, it's just cedar chips). We usually follow him around and watch him like a hawk. But this last time I was thinking that maybe we could give him his own space and let him play on his own without us hovering over him. He's becoming familiar with the equipment, and even if he fell off something, he'd probably not get hurt because of the rubber. There are benches at each corner of the playground, very close to the equipment.

I told DH we should each sit at a corner and just let him enjoy his freedom somewhat. Still watch him like a hawk of course, but not be right behind him. I would actually love to see him interact more with the kids there.

Of course, the moment DH and I sat down at our corners, he sat next to DH and didn't want to play til we followed him again, LOL.

thatgirl70

Asked by thatgirl70 at 3:15 PM on Oct. 6, 2010 in General Parenting

• I hover. My DD will just be two and lately I am forcing myself to let her do more on her own. I am still right there near her watching over her for now, but I let her climb what she can by herself instead of trying to help her up all the time. Eventually I want her to play on her own while I sit and watch, but like you said I always plan to watch her like a hawk. I remember my mom reading while my sister and I played on the playground and I just can't picture doing that- things are way too scary these days. But I do think it is important to try and foster a sense of independence.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 3:45 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• My son is only 17 months so i always follow behind him. I have a hard time letting him out of my sight at this young age
    kassee

Answer by kassee at 3:21 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• I've let mine go play since turning 3. I want her to go off, and interact with the other children. She doesn;' need me on her back. Now that I have the baby especially, I sit with him on the bench and let her play. :) :) She has a blast.

KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 8:35 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• LOL..my girls are 5 & 3 and my SO & I will get out there and play with them.. but then if we sit down on the benches.. they still play.
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 3:16 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• I let mine go, until they disobey the rule of staying close by. The park we take them to has sever different areas to play in.
    Sarasmoonflower

Answer by Sarasmoonflower at 3:22 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• Mine are 4 and 5 and from the time they were about 3 I've let them go play. I watch and stay where I can see them, but it's great for them to learn to interact.
    SheWoman

Answer by SheWoman at 3:25 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• Aw, I cant wait until my son is old enough to play without any real help. He is really getting into the slides now! He'll be 2 in December soo I have to stay on top of him for now!
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 3:33 PM on Oct. 6, 2010