Question about peanut free schools (not a debate, just need clarification)

To those of you whose children attend schools that have either banned peanuts or have a nut free zone... are there any extra costs for the schools to provide services to educate the students or to just have that nut free table or classroom? DH believes that you (the taxpayers) have to pay extra for that stuff, such as monitors to make sure no other kids go to the nut free table, or the materials for teaching the kids about peanut allergies. I say there would be no extra costs or if so very minimal, because I don't think much educational material would need to be provided and cafeterias usually have monitors anyway (by that I mean adults watching the kids).

thatgirl70

Asked by thatgirl70 at 3:28 PM on Oct. 6, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• I don't think it costs tax payers any extra money. Our school was 'peanut-free' for a few years, and ended up moving to 'nut-free zones' this year because it was much easier to keep track of and implement as a way to keep kids with allergies safe than a peanut free school. I don't think there are significant costs involved. They would have lunch monitors any way, and while it is one more thing for classroom teachers to take care of it doesn't cost the taxpayers any more. There are no special materials they send home, it is just addressed in the regular parent-school communications that come home.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 3:42 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• As far as I know there are no additional charges. Our schools are nut free zone period. And slowly becoming berries ans soy free. It can be tricky.

Soy free schools???? What would they serve? What would parents be allowed to pack? Does anyone realize how many commercial/convenience items contain soy? My daughter has a soy allergy and there is ONE bread at Publix (a large grocery chain in a large city) that is soy free. Peanut free schools are already slightly anti-freedom. Soy free schools are ridiculous. Just teach your allergic kids! My daughter is 2 and she knows NEVER to take food from anyone but family, she says "it's soy? it's soy?" when i tell her she can't have something. Kids aren't stupid. Teach them instead of relying on the schools to do everything for you.
    soflashelley

Answer by soflashelley at 8:51 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• My boss' grandson has peanut allergies. When he was in elementary school in Texas he was not supposed to eat from the cafeteria...all his meals were packed at home. Half way through the year his mom learned that he had been going to the cafeteria everyday for breakfast. No one ever questioned him, so I don't think there was much education of any kind.

My sister's kids went to a private school in New Hampshire that was peanut free. The only thing they did to tell parents about it was to add a sheet of paper to the beginning of the year papers that went home to parents. My sister didn't see the paper and sent peanut butter crackers for her daughter's snack. Apparently they did have some sort of monitoring in place because my sister received a call telling her to not send peanut products in the future.

TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 3:37 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• In both cases I mentioned there were no additional school employees for monitoring, so I expect the only costs were memos to parents. I suppose they also explained the policy to teachers, but in the case of my boss' grandson I'm not sure they even did that.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 3:41 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

QandA

Answer by QandA at 4:05 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• My kids go to a school that is nut free and there is no extra cost associated with it. There is info sent out at the beginning of the year about the policy along with a list of nut free snack ideas. There is a lunch monitor already so there was no need to hire someone else.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 5:03 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• Personally, I think all schools should be nut free to avoid any confusion and to prevent any tragedies. Sure my daughter loves peanut butter, but she doesn't need it while she's at school.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 7:27 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• Tell him, if it costs too much,, how much would he value his child's life at? because that's what it's saving....

These kids can, and do, die.
    Piskie

Answer by Piskie at 2:55 AM on Oct. 7, 2010

• my daughters whole school is nut-free!! we dont pay anything extra..they send notices home at the beginning of the school year with a HUGE list of different ideas for snacks the child can bring, and what store they are sold at..its actually a great list!! as for monitors...from what my daughter has said, the only monitors are the gr 5 kids...(dd is in grade 1, and it was the same last year in kindergarten) there are 2 gr 5 kids that go to every class to make sure everything is ok, and if the kids need helping with anything, they are there..kids just eat in their classroom, there isnt even a cafeteria at the school.. (k-5)

i think nut free schools are a great idea...at the same time...its soooooo frustrating!!!! my daughter lives off of hotdog or bologna sandwiches at school..she would much rather prefer PB..and she doesnt eat cheese..so instead she gets stuck wih hotdogs..and we all know "healthy" those are..............
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 3:29 AM on Oct. 7, 2010

• That's my belief too, so I don't know where DH is getting the idea that there are costs attached. He says it's not worth it for the schools to have nut free areas because it would cost too much. So I thought I would ask those who've dealt with it.
    thatgirl70

Comment by thatgirl70 (original poster) at 3:49 PM on Oct. 6, 2010