75% chance you'll give birth to a baby that will more then likely die within a few years. Do you take that chance?

In my state there is this couple raising money to help support their kids because they were born with a genetic disorder that will more then likely kill them before they even reach school age. Their first born child wasn't suppose to reach his first birthday but lucky he did but he's on a breathing machine and on a feeding tube. He can't move or talk. They were told if they get pregnant again there is a 75% chance that baby will have the same deadly disease. They took that chance and gave birth to another child with the same disease.
I have a genetic disorder and even I did want to have children because they was a 50% chance my kids would be born with it. BC failed both times but where I live a women needs to be 25 in order to get sterilized. I refuse to have anymore. My daughter was born with the same disease but lucky my son wasn't.
Would you risk that 75% chance?

mommy_of_two388

Asked by mommy_of_two388 at 3:29 PM on Oct. 6, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I think they are selfish as well and to be asking for financial help? Our son was born with a genetic form of cancer, we dont' have it in our families so we took the chance and had a beautiful daughter. My husband had a vasectomy 6 months later and I got a hysterectomy a year later. I was not going to risk it again. My son will have a 50% chance of his offspring having the same disease he did, he will have to be the one to make that choice
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 4:04 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• If I happened to get pregnant.. then yes, I would have the baby.
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 3:30 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• I wouldnt activly try to get pregnant again, and would take all the procautions not too (including tying my tubes) , if we were interested in more kids I would adopt. But if I did happen to get pregnant (it does happen) I would without a doubt keep that baby, and pray, even if there was a 100% chance that it would have problems I would still keep it to enjoy it for as long as I could.
    -LovingMamma-

Answer by -LovingMamma- at 3:37 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• 100% YES. Doctors aren't god, it's like a doctor telling somebody they have 2 months left, and they make it 10 years.

Chell.o_0

Answer by Chell.o_0 at 3:32 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• No I wouldn't !

Answer by older at 3:29 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• Nope.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 3:30 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• No I would not. If I happened to get pregnant by accident on BC and everything, of course I would love my child every day of its precious life... but if I could stop myself from torturing my own child with pain and disease that woud only kill my precious little angel then there is no way in hell that I would want to purposey take the chance of causing my own child harm. And that's all they're doing. They are sick if you ask me. If they desperately want kids that bad then they need to support and care for the ones they HAVe and adopt if they want more. Why would ANYONE want to take such a large chance?
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 3:32 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• No not if I was aware of it. . I would adopt. If it is genetic then your children's children could even have the gene.... why keep passing it down?

Namaste17

Answer by Namaste17 at 3:32 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• If the child was going to be and pain and not be able to enjoy their life then probably not. There are more then enough children in foster care that need familes, I would adopt.
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Answer by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 3:32 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• Yes because if I got pregnant, it was for a purpose that even I may not understand.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 3:32 PM on Oct. 6, 2010