How often do your kids have friends over?

I work. My daughter gets home from school and has her routine that she completes. She always does her homework and chores first, then she has a few things she does with friends every afternoon (walking with friends to get their little brothers/sisters from elem. school, etc). And many days she asks me if one of her friends can hang out at our house until I get home.

*sidenote- my husband is home. He works nights, so he's asleep, but he is there*

My gut reaction is to tell her no. But I have no real reason to tell her no. She's a good kid, her friends are good kids, her work is all done. It's a throwback from my own childhood- no friends over on school nights.

So now I'm curious- how often do your middle school kids have friends over or go to a friend's house?

Pertinent info- she is a middle school child, responsible, and the friend she always asks to have over is also a girl.

emhain

Asked by emhain at 3:40 PM on Oct. 6, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• I have the same gut reaction, but in your daughter's case it sounds like there's no harm. My daughter didn't have that much social activity at that age, but she didn't have any friends within walking distance either. I suspect if she'd had a friend on our block her social activities during the week would have increased. You could limit it to 2 or 3 days a week if you wanted, or excersize that option if there ever is a problem.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 3:46 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• Not often
    Michellela331

Answer by Michellela331 at 3:43 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• I allow it. They have friends over and they go to friends. If you are ok with it, then I'm sure she will be tickled pink!
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 3:45 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• My Son isn't to that age yet, but I had friends over all the time growing up. My Best friend would even spend a week at a time at our house. As long as we followed the rules my Mom set down, she was allowed to stay. The rules were along the lines of Homework and chores must be done, and get to bed when it's time. No staying up and talking all night.. yadda yadda!
    firethearson

Answer by firethearson at 3:51 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• When my teenage goddaughter lived with us, as long as she was behaving, her homework/housework was done, I didn't mind, but everyone was out of the house by no later then 8:30 & I made sure that if there were boys coming over they knew the rules to my house. (no followiing her into the bedroom, staying in viewing sight, NO BLANKETS, ect)
    lilmoosesmom

Answer by lilmoosesmom at 4:03 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• My boys are pretty active during the week after school with sports, however we do allow them to have friends over on off nights. Its not often only because of their schedules. I don't mind, my kids like your daughter are well behaved, responsible good kids.
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 5:46 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• all the time but they have to go home before dinner and the home work has to be able to be done between dinner and bed. If there is a lot of homework that night then no.
    sahlady

Answer by sahlady at 6:07 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• I'm constantly kicking kids out of this house.  Mine get home at 4pm and usually by 4:30 there are kids ringing our bell wanting to know if one or the other of my kids can come out or they can come in.  I had to toss my 10yo's friend out this afternoon because my 10yo didn't have her chores done and was throwing a fit because her brother got a DSi for his birthday from my dad.  Not to mention every time the friend comes over the girls trash their room and no one picks it up.

Yesterday my son (9) had his 2 buddies over and they were playing xbox but I tossed them out after 10 minutes because they were making too much noise and woke the baby.

justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 8:55 PM on Oct. 6, 2010