When did I start? adult content

I've been having the worst periods ever since I tried to take birth control. I stopped taking it because it had horrific side-effects on me and ever since my period has been out of whack. So last month I was supposed to start Sept. 13th. I got a sign of blood on the 18th. Then nothing. Two days later, a little more blood... then nothing. This has continued all the way up to today (Oct 6) where I finally seemed to have moved onto an actual flow. So when the heck did I start my period? Do I count it as the 18th and I've been bleeding for 2.5 weeks, or should I count it as today and I'm over 3 weeks late? (which would suck because I've lost any hope of possibly finally evening out since stopping BC.)

Cenchan

Asked by Cenchan at 3:44 PM on Oct. 6, 2010 in Health

• i would get hold of your family doctor/clinic. Having your mensus for sooo long can cause anemia. Furthermore it just isn't healthy to have your mensus that long. The hormone level could be too low or too high. Talk to your RN/MD. Good luck
    emily1230

Answer by emily1230 at 3:50 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• I would mark all of this on a calender and take it to your doctor. I had similar problems after I had my children and although they never found a cause, I ended up having an ablation done to finally stop the bleeding. It could be anything from a hormone imbalance to something like fibroids. Good luck!
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 4:03 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• Also a little bit of past on them: Earlier on I would start and bleed (heavy flow) for 3-4 weeks then skip a month or two, then do it again. Then it slowed to 2 week long medium flow and I'd have those every 35-43 days. Just recently the last 2 months I actually did have 'on schedule' periods or as close as I've ever been where it's been 1 week long, normal flow (light-heavy-med-light), and 28-30 days between start. To be honest, my periods have -never- been normal, but they were at least semi-predictable with 5-7 days bleeding and 29-31 days between.
    Cenchan

Comment by Cenchan (original poster) at 3:49 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• I have not been bleeding this entire time. When I say 'signs of blood' I mean like that first time when you're just about to start and the toilet paper is faintly pink.

I also do not have a doctor to go to because I cannot afford to go to one because they all want money up front and we live paycheck to paycheck. No money. No doctor. Pretty much it. (Also, we don't make under $300 a month for me to qualify for medical assistance.)
    Cenchan

Comment by Cenchan (original poster) at 4:14 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• I agree with all the responses. Great job! I am learning myself, because I tend to be anemic and want to get off BCP.

good luck!

PS: keeping a calendar is the best tool to show your doctor about trends...
    Ahealthyskin

Answer by Ahealthyskin at 7:03 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• Ok, so, since no one really answered my question (as to when do I consider my start date) I was finally able to contact my dad and talk to him about it (he's an RN). He said to consider today my start date. Again: when I said I have been "bleeding" for 2.5 weeks, I didn't mean BLEEDING bleeding. I spotted here and there every few days or so - again, as if I were about to start... but never started really bleeding.

His answer was that there's a good chance I have cystic ovaries (thicker tissue around my ovaries than normal) which would cause the odd periods since it takes more for them to pop out an egg. Which could also cause the spotting over 2 weeks. I really don't need anything done (especially since I'm not TTC) and since I don't have the $$ to see a doc, I can live with the irregularity. I have for over 15 years.
    Cenchan

Comment by Cenchan (original poster) at 2:45 AM on Oct. 7, 2010