Is 3 years old too early to test for ADD?

My son was just diagnosed with ADHD with comorbid ODD; he's 5. I have ADHD. My husband has it. Why not my daughter? I'm fully aware of overdiagnosis, but I believe, in our case, we just hit the Attention disorder jackpot.

jerf

Asked by jerf at 3:44 PM on Oct. 6, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Early diagnosis or suspicion is one thing, but no goo doc will prescribe meds to a child under 5...and if they do, IMO, they are criminal.
    The first thing I would do (which we have done actually LOL) Is invest in ALL NATURAL and ORGANIC food wherever possible. The Fiengold diet is known for assisting in preventing and aiding in the reduction of most negative outward behaviors associated with ADD/ADHD because they are actually reactions to food additives and preservatives. Even recent studies show that over exposure to pesticides can CAUSE ADD...or ADD-like behavior in children.
    Those are probably the best preventative things you can do...aside from keeping TV down to a minimum and letting the kids run around outside as much as possible.
    Good luck!
    boomamma

Answer by boomamma at 12:48 AM on Oct. 8, 2010

• Obviously you know what the testing procedures are...Do you think your 3y can complete the tests?

UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 3:47 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• i have adhd and so does my oldest but we hav enot tested my younger son and they earlyer that catch it the better and then u want have so many calls frm the school or anything
    regian19832002

Answer by regian19832002 at 3:48 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• I think with a family history like that some doctors will make an early assessment, but many probably still stick to an older age limit. My daughter has ADHD and the doctor made it very clear that it was most likely inherrited from my ex-husband based on the details I was able to give her about him.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 3:51 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• "Attention disorder jackpot" HA HA HA HA HA! That's funny!

I have OCD and ADD and I think my 3 yr old has ADHD but they won't test her yet. They say she is still too young to perform the tests. I think they're right. We are waiting and watching to see how she does in school and such. :)

When your child is a bit older and more cpapable fo performing the necessary testing they will most likely allow her to. That way she will be able to prepare for school and such. :) GL!
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 3:55 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• It is very hard.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 9:42 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• medically the doc won't test til the kids are 5. and the disorder can skip generation so she may not have it. count ya blessing. my now 10 yr old was diagnosed at 6 and i knew he would have it cuz his father does and he had signs of hyperactivity when he was 3 also. some said he was being a boy but it was on another level. so she may not have it and then again she may just have been dealing wit it very well
    MommaSyrup07

Answer by MommaSyrup07 at 11:35 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• All 3 year olds are ADD to some extent, but that's what being 3 is all about. I am a Special Ed. teacher, and the rule of thumb for attention span is age + 2. So for a 3 year old the attention span is approximately 5 minutes. So if nothing holds your childs interest for 5 minutes, you might have a problems. But I would definitely wait until your child is in school to see how she performs. Good luck!
    Chris K.

Answer by Chris K. at 11:10 AM on Oct. 7, 2010

• yup
    mekarevell

Answer by mekarevell at 8:59 PM on Oct. 7, 2010