Do you think we should re-evaluate the driving age?

I mean seriously, you can't legally smoke a cigarette or join the army til you're or even vote 18, you can't legally drink alcohol til 21, but we are putting these young 16 year olds behind the wheel of a car. and i'm sorry but learning 3 point turns, how to parellel park, driving 5 mph on a closed course and knowing the difference between a "fresh and stale" green light does not set you up for the real world of driving. in other words the test isn't hard to pass, a license isn't hard to obtain at 16. and not to be judgmental, but those to "text and drive" are usually teenagers. maybe im just ranting today because i live by a high school and have to pass it everyday the same time they let out, and these kids drive like maniacs. i do honestly think though that 16 is too young to have total control over a vehicle. the permit laws work well and i think they should be extended to 18, as inconvenient for the parents as that may be.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:47 PM on Oct. 6, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• Yes. I don't think children should be allowed to drive cars.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 3:51 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• They are actually doing that in my state. They get a permit when they are 16 but they have to have an adult in the car up until they are18, that's when they get a full license, and they are only allowed one person in the car until they are 21.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 3:52 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• I totally agree!!
    Everyday at school's end I almost get run over by oblivious teenagers.
    KARRIEMARIE

Answer by KARRIEMARIE at 3:56 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• I absolutely agree with you. In general, 16 year olds are NOT mature enough to drive. Where I'm from, you actually can't even take driving classes until you're 18. Also, you have to take at least 20 hours of driving with an instructor, and for the actual test, you aren't allowed to make ANY mistakes at all. Believe me, it's a lot harder to get your license than it is over here. And that's the way it should be, if you ask me. A car can be a very deadly weapon, I'd rather make sure somebody knows what they're doing before they get behind the wheel.

At 16, I got a moped, and I was thrilled with that !
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 4:26 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• my in laws text and drive all the time...my MIL is 33, she just hit a telephone pole support cable while texting and driving, she also scraped the side of a school bus while passing it....no i'll agree there are a lot of dumb teen drivers but there are also a lot of dumb adult drivers and in my experience the dumbest drivers have been in their 30s and older. should the test be harder, yes but age has nothing to do with common sence
    aliishott2

Answer by aliishott2 at 3:54 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• I think they should make the elderly take a test every year after the age of 65 in order to KEEP their license.... As for being 16 and driving, I'm okay with it, but it should have to have a curfew on it...
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 3:57 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• Maybe the question then should be... What age should we send our troops. 21,18 or 16.... Old enough to die for our country at age 18, but can't sit back and have a Budwiser.... You can get a tatoo that symbolizes your a ''Marine or Ranger'' at 18, and can drive at 16; but forget hitting a strip club....

emily1230

Answer by emily1230 at 4:01 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• I agree I think 16 is still an immature age for driving, but I also think there should be a cut off point for elderly drivers. I see these 80 plus yr olds out here not driving as they should be. So I think the driving thing should work both ways

tracylyn245

Answer by tracylyn245 at 4:03 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• After nearly being hit by a teenage driver who was too busy texting to pay attention to the stop sign she had! Something needs to be done!!! I feel very fortunate it was a back road in town, and that I was paying attention. Unfortunatly I don't think it scared her enough that she will think twice about it. :(
    Sarasmoonflower

Answer by Sarasmoonflower at 4:05 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• Sounds like a great idea to me. There are plenty of adults who text and drive. Talking on the phone isn't that much better than texting and driving. Both of them are dangerous! There are, of course, some kids who are ready to drive and are responsible even before they get to 16. Then, of course, there are some people who should never drive. There are some older people who shouldn't be behind a wheel because they are driving 25mph on a 40mph zone. That drives me crazy even though I used to drive kind of slowly when I was first learning to drive. There are also some adults who are drinking age but are totally shouldn't be drinking and are irresponsible.
    Svetlana98usa

Answer by Svetlana98usa at 3:54 PM on Oct. 6, 2010