How can i get my 18 months old daughter early to bed?

I hav been trying to put her to bed early from the past few months but it is not working. She sleeps late night about 12.am. i switch off the lights much earlier and give her the milk bottle. she finishes that and is still awake for a long time. i also breast feed her for few minutes at the end to help her sleep faster. she keeps her activity on till that time. she does not sleep by herself.

Delnaz

Asked by Delnaz at 8:52 AM on Oct. 25, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• What happens if you get her up earlier in the morning and then move her nap (if she naps) earlier in the day? That way she'll get tired earlier in the evening. Other than that, I don't know what to tell you. My son absolutely will not sleep with anyone else in the room, so he sleeps in a crib in his own room. Whether he's tired or not, he goes to bed around 7pm. Sometimes we hear him playing in there for an hour or more until he finally falls asleep. Other times he's out like a light as soon as his head hits the mattess.
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 9:06 AM on Oct. 25, 2008

• Occasionally (for whatever reason) my night owl starts moving his bedtime later - usually it's 9pm, but sometimes he won't go down until 10:30pm. To get him back on schedule, for a couple days I cut his afternoon nap down to 1 hour, and take him to the toddler pool at the YMCA after his nap. He is so exhausted after the short nap & swimming that he is out like a light by 8:45. That seems to do the trick for me.
    etajazz

Answer by etajazz at 10:20 AM on Oct. 25, 2008

• you can feed her at 4:30 or 5 and then get her into the bath, and bed by 6 or 7. just start trying it, and have a bedtime routine like dinner, bath, stories...
    TXdanielly

Answer by TXdanielly at 11:01 AM on Oct. 25, 2008

• When my daughter didn't want to go to bed early, I tried first by taking away her naps in the afternoon. I thought maybe she was just getting too much sleep during the day. It worked. Ever since stoppingn nap time she starts getting tired around 7ish. Bedtime is at 8. She sleeps through the night until 8 sometimes 9 in the morning! Try rearranging your schedule or stopping naptime. GL!
    l.bicks

Answer by l.bicks at 11:37 AM on Oct. 25, 2008

• I think that it has something to do with her waiting for you to nurse her. She knows that you will eventually come in, so she plays until then. If you always come in to nurse her down to sleep, then she relies on you to help her get sleepy enough to actually fall asleep. Nurse her earlier, like right her bath, so that she isn't waiting for you to come in later. Or, stop nursing her before bedtime so that she can fall asleep on her own without that association.
    jacobsmom707

Answer by jacobsmom707 at 1:28 PM on Oct. 25, 2008