Does Murder Trump All Other Crimes?

My DH and I are having a debate. He believes that murder is the worst crime of all because it ends a life. I, however, believe there is a HUGE difference between ending a life and committing a crime that someone has to live with for years and years... Rape, Torture, Abuse, Mutilation... To me, these cause more damage than death because death ends the pain, these crimes cause long term pain....

I figure, no matter what you think is on the other side, be it heaven, or reincarnation or nothing... To me, it's better than living the rest of your life in pain from a crime...

Please understand I do NOT condone murder or anything similar, but I think criminally these other crimes should carry at least comparable sentences...

What are all your thoughts?

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 4:05 PM on Oct. 6, 2010 in Religious Debate

• If you EVER harm a child in ANY way shape or form, that's the worst.
    Chell.o_0

Answer by Chell.o_0 at 4:07 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• Sabrina, I completely agree with you. Do you remember the Chester Stiles case? He raped a two year old girl on video. Should something like that carry penalties less than murdering her?
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 4:07 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• No.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 4:08 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• I agree with you Sabrina. I think rape or molestation is far worse crimes and should be punishable by death.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 4:09 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• Considering that even hardened criminals cannot stand pedophiles and will kill them if they are put in general population, I would have to say that crimes against children are worse than murder.
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 4:10 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• Interestingly enough, the Bible equates murder with all other sins. In the eyes of God, murder, adultery, covetousness, envy, greed are equally forgivable. In the Old Testament, there was a distinction made between intentional murder and unintentional murder, however, in that the punishments were different. In some of the Arabic countries, rape is punishable by death, so a lot may depend on the cultures of the countries. As a whole, I think the U.S. penal system has become very skewed, and I think that is due in large part to the political nature of our courts today. It is indeed very disturbing that a grown man can rape a child and get away with almost a slap on the wrist.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 4:11 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• Legally, yes, murder does trump all other crimes. Morally, yes and no. In one way I do agree with you, but on the other hand I don't. Yes, a person can molest a child, beat a child, etc. But most children have a chance to live a good life, once the abuse is discovered. If someone beats, molests, and then murders a child, that child's life is over. There are no other chances.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 4:15 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• But most children have a chance to live a good life, once the abuse is discovered

Yea the abuse is over...but the scars last a lifetime.

sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 4:47 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• Yea the abuse is over...but the scars last a lifetime.

I work at a child advocacy center and you would be amazed at the resilience of most children. Yes, some children are not able to over come something like this, but from my experience, with some good therapy, most are.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 5:20 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• To quote from the movie The Kite Runner:

"There is only one sin, only one. And that is theft. Every other sin is a variation of theft... When you kill a man, you steal a life. You steal his wife's right to a husband, rob his children of a father. When you tell a lie, you steal someone's right to the truth. When you cheat, you steal the right to fairness."
    Add to that rape stealing a woman's virtue or a child's innocence, and I think it pretty much covers it.
    Koukla12905

Answer by Koukla12905 at 5:52 PM on Oct. 6, 2010