What is your philosophy?

I am not a philosopher, nor have I really studied philosophy, but from the time I first learned about existentialism, I felt a connection with it. If you're not sure what it's all about, here is a quick definition from wikipedia.

Existentialism is the set of philosophical beliefs positing that human beings are responsible for creating their own meaning in life, as opposed to deities or authorities doing this for them.

A central proposition of existentialism is that existence precedes essence, which means that the actual life of the individual is what constitutes what could be called his or her "essence" instead of there being a predetermined essence that defines what it is to be a human.

my2.5boys

Asked by my2.5boys at 9:13 AM on Oct. 25, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• It is often claimed in this context that man defines himself

existentialist thinkers focus on the question of concrete human existence and the conditions of this existence rather than determining a human essence.

I would be very interested to hear about what kind of philosophies you identify with, if you would like to share.
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 9:13 AM on Oct. 25, 2008

• I believe in God and that my essence comes from God. I also believe that my essence can be corrupted if I live contrary to what I feel is right.

Answer by Bmat at 9:40 AM on Oct. 25, 2008

• That definitely fits me.  I'm an Atheist and I've always lived my life with the philosophy that I have complete control over my life.  Now I know I can't control the twists and turns that life is always unexpectedly throwing at us, but I can control how I react to them and how I handle them. 

beeky

Answer by beeky at 10:34 AM on Oct. 25, 2008

• I would call myself a spiritual existentialist. I believe exactly as the philosophy states, that we are individually responsible for finding our own purpose and meaning within life itself, but I also believe that there is more than science can explain. I guess that would fall into the Agnostic category. Like we're ants in an ant farm, left to our own devices and little lives. But something had to pour the sand in the glass case, right?
    MamaLion82007

Answer by MamaLion82007 at 11:47 AM on Oct. 25, 2008

• That is very interesting, I never heard of that before, thanks for sharing. My beliefs are opposite. I am my essence. My essence is me and precedes being human. But I am not saying that predetermined essence defines being human, I don't agree with that either. We are spiritual beings on a human journey , not human beings on a spiritual journey. I practice Buddhism.

Anonymous

• I believe in a spiritual highness, not a father. I believe that the bible along with other religious books are fables in a way, more of a way of life through underlying meaning. I believe if we open our minds and clear our thoughts we will be offered opportunity daily to experience heaven. I love to meditate and try to become one with my inner self. I am a spiritual person but not religious at all. My catholic upbringing haunts me a lot but I know that it is not my beliefs but my father’s voice I hear. My Nana, was Native American and shared a lot of the “earth stories” with me. She was very spiritual in the same way as I am. Every time I find myself feeling confused…I think of her stories and “pray” to her for strength and guidance.
    njmommy2boys

Answer by njmommy2boys at 9:59 PM on Oct. 25, 2008

• Existentialist definitely defines me to a point but I have a bit of realism, epistemology, rationalism and pragmatism.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 7:47 AM on Oct. 26, 2008

• absolutely...that was a definition i've been waiting for...i'm an athiest, and can completely appreciate not only taking responsibilty 4 my own life, but as i think defined...doin that n the best way possible as my essence effects others around me.
    i try 2 b the best i can possibly b for 2day and 2moro...knowing the mark i leave (or the positive influences i have on others)will b my everlasting resting place...only n the hearts and minds of those i love.
    so do all u can 2day!
    yomamaporter

Answer by yomamaporter at 9:23 PM on Oct. 28, 2008