Dying hair while pregnant???

I want to feel pretty again! So i'm thinking about dying my hair and getting extensions. My roots are showing horribly! I dye my hair blonde, but not with bleach, just instore hair dyes like Garnier Fructise. Is this safe to do so if i'm in my 2nd trimester ?

Mskixxalot

Asked by Mskixxalot at 4:50 PM on Oct. 6, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Yes it is safe to dye your hair. Just make sure you are in a well ventilated room.
    Raeann11

Answer by Raeann11 at 4:51 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• I just died my hair last night for the first time in like 10 months, and I'm 36 weeks....I read that you shouldn't dye in the 1st trimester because the baby's vital organs are forming. I was a little worried last night though because the smell of chemicals filled the bathroom! I was like trying to breathe into a towel because I felt bad breathing in those fumes...
    Evansmommy91

Answer by Evansmommy91 at 4:53 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• I was wondering the same thing. A friend told me it is ok as long as your not high risk but I am not sure. I am going to ask my dr next Friday. My hair really need a touch up bad so I hope it's ok.
    myangel21

Answer by myangel21 at 4:53 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• yep i just highlighted and dyed yesterday actually just wear gloves! an be cautious mine turned out orange at first!! happy halloween haha
    michellezk210

Answer by michellezk210 at 5:01 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• Its fine! 8m a stylist and I worked with color the whole time. If that were true every stylist under the sun would have to get disability their whole pregnancy. BUT there are precautions. Its better to keep color off the scalp so it doesn't absorb unless you are using a special forula"which salons do carry. Foiling keeps it off the scalp. Also it processes much quicker!
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 5:01 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• Btw box color from the grocery store has way more fumes than professional color and can be harsh!
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 5:02 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• My doctor told me that the only reason they tell you not to dye your hair while pregnant is because of all the hormones you have while pregnant there is a chance it won't stick or could possibly even changed your hair to a completely differwent color then desired. Just do so in a open airy room so you don't inhale so much fumes. And be prepared for the outcome.
    DeegansMomma08

Answer by DeegansMomma08 at 5:10 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• I had my hair dyed during my pregnancies. Just make sure you are in an open room or outside to avoid breathing in too many fumes.
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 5:12 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• I was told it was fine after the first trimester. The dyes aren't as strong and toxic as they use to be so that is why they say you can after the first trimester (that is what I was told at least)
    KaraMia15

Answer by KaraMia15 at 5:16 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• Musicmom80, the hairstylist is right in that you have to keep it off your scalp. I believe that it is true during all of the pregnancy and especially in the first trimester.
    Svetlana98usa

Answer by Svetlana98usa at 5:33 PM on Oct. 6, 2010