Should bullying be a crime?

It started with rumors, a love triangle, and a dirty look in a high-school bathroom. Soon jokes about an "Irish slut" cropped up on Facebook, and a girl’s face was scribbled out of a class photo hanging up at school. One day, in the cafeteria, another girl marched in, pointed at her, and shouted "stay away from other people’s men." A week later, as the girl walked home, a car full of students crept close. One kid hurled a crumpled soda can out the window, followed closely by shrieks of "whore!"

If your children had behaved like this, how would you want them punished? Certainly a proper grounding would be in order; computer privileges revoked. Detention, yes—maybe even suspension. Or what about 10 years in jail? Now what if we told you that the girl had gone home after the soda-can incident and killed herself—discovered by her little sister.

tasches

Asked by tasches at 4:56 PM on Oct. 6, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• If "Sexting" can be sexual harrassment then online bullying and school yard bullying can be a crime.
    GinNTonic

Answer by GinNTonic at 5:07 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• I would have.........well, just say my kid would have walked with a limp for a few weeks. But, I would have taught my child to not be a follower and to be kind from the start. I would realize that my child, though perfect in my eyes, makes mistakes, does things wrong, and might - just might- have the capacity to do something mean. I would have taken warnings from people seriously and used them as an opportunity to teach lessons even through the denials of my lovely child. All people have the ability to do many wrong things. As parents we are not helping if we live in a place of denial instead of realization.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 5:06 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• What we really need is
    1. People to discipline their kids.
    2. Schools be allowed to discipline kids.
    3. Kids taught to have thicker skins.

Bullying is terrible, and the programs in the schools combatting it are failing. I can guarantee you my children would never participate in such a thing. Why? Because I would "kill" them. Not literally, but you kwim. My kids are very well disciplined by their dad and by me.

A question..if it were a "crime" what would the parameters be? Who would be the criminal..the kid or the parents?
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 5:31 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• Thicker skin? That won't happen until kids are adults and believe in themselves. Hell...some of us will never have skin THAT thick.I have sympathy for anyone who has been bullied and there is no way I would expect them to "have thick skin." That allows bullies to get away with bullying. They get off easy.....
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 6:14 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• Agree with YSK

If a bully persists even when ignored..kick their ass..

My kids learned that a long time ago ..they don't get bullied nor do they bully anyone
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 7:21 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• When classmates insult, threaten, humiliate, harass, push, kick, taunt or otherwise abuse a young person to the point where the victim would rather end their own life than to endure any more, it’s clear that bullying is both malicious and hateful.

A grounding just wouldn't do it for me. Yes. it's a crime.
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 7:49 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• Yea that was a really sad story. There is an epidemic in bullying right now!

Maybe not 10 yrs but def. an assault charge of some sort with some action taken....

kids our killing themselves because of other kids... it's so sad
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Answer by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 4:59 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• yes.
    GinNTonic

Answer by GinNTonic at 5:06 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• Yes! There some be a criminal punishment for bullying that leads to someone harming themselves or others.
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 5:11 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• Bullying should be right along the same line as hate crimes...its AWFUL and the consequences are devastating. The whole "kids will be kids" crap is just that, CRAP people need to teach their kids that they dont have to like everyone but that does not give you the right to be hateful and be a FOLLOWER and treat people like crap. Thats how we end up with columbine incidents!!!!
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 8:22 PM on Oct. 6, 2010