Talking to your kids about masturbation? TMI! adult content

have u or will u talk to ur kids about masturbation? my mother never told me about it, i got the sex talk of how babies are made at 5 years old and after that it was wait to have sex until ur married! so when do u have this talk or do u just never tell them about masturbation and they will learn on their own?

Caroline2010

Asked by Caroline2010 at 4:57 PM on Oct. 6, 2010 in Relationships

• It doesn't need to be talked about unless the kid comes to you about it. Like, if he does it and then feels guilty and wants to tell you or something.
    Evansmommy91

Answer by Evansmommy91 at 5:04 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• They figure it out on their own. The only thing you need to do is tell them to do it in private and not make them feel ashamed for doing it.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 5:01 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• I never discussed that with my children, nor did I describe to them any other sex acts. I did teach them that all sex was for marriage, and it worked! They are each happily married today and were not sexually active until they were married. I call that a success!!!
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 5:01 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• My son is 6 and already knows he is allowed to touch himself in private. He doesn't know anything about it being sexual yet though. We will talk about that as well as everything else around age 8 or 9 at the latest. sooner if he ask questions. I will have the talk with my DD around 7 or 8 though. DS has developmental Delays and I need to be sure he is ready to understand.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 5:01 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• I think it is an important conversation to have. It is private, but not something for a child to be punished for or ashamed of.
    FatGirl239

Answer by FatGirl239 at 4:59 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• i got the talk from my mom and i will do the same for my daughter and any other future kids i have
    cnoble927

Answer by cnoble927 at 5:03 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• I don't see a problem with discussing. Alot of people make masturbation seem dirty or wrong. My mother did. I was ashamed that I did it until DH showed me that it is pleasurable, not shameful
    mrsjksimmons

Answer by mrsjksimmons at 5:23 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• My children have already had that education. We feel it very important that children learn there is nothing wrong with self love as well as the fact that there are times and places where it is okay. We also discussed (and continue to) things such as heterosexual and homosexual sex (since we don't know which they are) and molestation...

My mother never told us anything beyond "playing with yourself is wrong, sinful and disgusting" and when she caught us it carried heavy punishments. And I didn't get the "talk" til I was nearly 15 - my sister said she never got it... In fact my mother just told me the other day that I need to inform my children it's NOT okay to touch those parts and that they are NOT there for their pleasure... She said masturbation teaches selfishness and it should never be done.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 5:26 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• Oh sabrina that is awful!
    Anyway, I've already talked with my kids about this. I've been discussing it with them since they were about 3 or 4. I got a kids book about their bodies and how they change. ANd we have read it together more times than I can count...and my Ds (8) takes it to read at bedtime every single night. he obviously is very curious about his body and girls bodies and the changes happening to him.
    I feel it is extremely important to keep an open dialogue about these things so they feel they can come to me with bigger questions. I can't imagine never saying anything to them, and allowing them to learn from their friends! YIKES! That is just asking for trouble, IMO.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 7:21 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• it has to be done in private when you both are ready.i think personally giving a 5 year old the talk is to young but thats u and every one is different so do what u think is right and i will tell my daughter when she starts asking me about stuff.she is only 4 right now
    diana398

Answer by diana398 at 7:24 PM on Oct. 6, 2010