Do you have a custodial power of attorney for a minor?

I am a step mom and was wondering if anyone had this type of POA, if so how did you get it? I am with the children 24/7. We just moved and DH is at work in the mornings and is unable to go enroll son into school. Mind you they are on fall break. So trying to get this done ASAP.

justme581

Asked by justme581 at 5:32 PM on Oct. 6, 2010 in General Parenting

• In my experience, you should be fine for getting the kids in school. So long as DH is the legal custodian, even part time, you are acting as his agent in this capacity. I've never heard of a school not letting the kids in due to step-mom enrolling.
    silversmom

Answer by silversmom at 5:35 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• I am a step mom and did everything with my SS school. They had to get permission from my DH,at the very beginning, but once he told them that I could speak for him, I could do anything that was needed.
    Carajust

Answer by Carajust at 5:42 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• NOPE but my mom has POA over my youngest daughter due that she loves to take her on vacation all the time so we did this in case anything happens god hope not she is able to get her the help she needs...it works wounder for us...and it is very explanatory
    iNk-FrEaK

Answer by iNk-FrEaK at 5:49 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• iNK-FrEak ~ How did you guys get it?
    justme581

Comment by justme581 (original poster) at 5:52 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• I got mine for my SS (before adoption) from the military. My husband was going to Afg and I was moving out of state. You have to go to an attorney usually about $100 but, you should not need it to enroll him into school.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 5:54 PM on Oct. 7, 2010