Stripping of the Membranes does this actually work???

So I went to my doctors yesterday for a routine check up of coarse. I am 39 weeks and 5 days today. So I was having my exam and not even asking me just goes oh while Im looking I am stripping your membranes so before I could say anything it was done already. She didn't tell me anything about it what I should expect or anything. Let's just say I am pretty pissed off with my doctor for doing this with out my consent. Anyways so I was just wondering does this actually work and bring on labor? Or is it just coincedence? I was 2 centimeters dilated when she did this I have been experiencing more braxton hicks but that's about it no baby yet.

baybeegurl272

Asked by baybeegurl272 at 5:37 PM on Oct. 6, 2010 in Pregnancy

• It didn't work for me. It just hurt really bad.
    luvsmysonjames

Answer by luvsmysonjames at 5:39 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• Didn't work for me, just lots of pain for another 24 hours.
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 5:39 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• I was already overdue so my doctor also stripped my membranes but it did not work either and I ended up being induced.
    dlshaner

Answer by dlshaner at 6:44 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• it worked for me twice....it is painful isnt it? You should go have some sex and maybe that will get things moving along!
    LuvMyMedic3ID

Answer by LuvMyMedic3ID at 8:35 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• My dr told me that it just brings your due date up a few days. I don't know if I buy that. A friend of mine had it done, and it worked for her twice. I had mine done twice, the 2nd time it worked.

I see no problem with it at 39 weeks. The problem I have is that your doctor did it without telling you about it and giving you the option to say no. That waves major red flags for what will happen during delivery. I would talk to her about it.
    corbysmom531

Answer by corbysmom531 at 9:30 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• I didn't find it painful just extremely uncomfortable.

And yes I will be talking to my doctor once I have my next appointment on the 12th cause I mean if she is going to do that without asking who knows what's going to happen in the delivery room if she is present.
    baybeegurl272

Comment by baybeegurl272 (original poster) at 4:59 PM on Oct. 7, 2010