How do I get over lack of faith or doubt?

I go in and out of being sure in my Christian beliefs. I want to believe more than anything but sometimes have doubts. How does everyone deal with this?

JamieSwenson

Asked by JamieSwenson at 10:31 PM on Jul. 2, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• Daily prayer.... and just living out your faith in EVERYTHING that you do. Sure at times we have doubt, even those that walked with Christ had doubt...doubt is "normal" time to time. Just don't let it take over you. Daily prayer is the best tool, not only do we need to talk to God, but we need to listen to what He has to say to us.

Sharing your doubt with other people also helps get them off your chest...so you don't think about them all the time. Having a Spiritual director (pastor, spouse, friend) to talk to also helps.
    SAHMinIL

Answer by SAHMinIL at 10:39 PM on Jul. 2, 2008

• HUN WE PRAY WE READ OUR BIBLES AND WE KNOW THAT JESUS SAID WHAT I HAVE NO MAN CAN TAKE FROM ME. THAT MEANS EVEN YOU CAN NOT TAKE YOUR OWN SALVATION AND FAITH AWAY. IT IS NORMAL TO DOUBT. BUT REMEMBER HE IS ALL KNOWING, ALL POWERFUL, ALL PRESENT. TIME IS A NON ESSENTIAL TO GOD WHEN HE SAID THAT HE KNEW ALL THAT WOULD HAPPEN THEN NOW AND FUTURE TOO. BUT HUN PLEASE LET NO ONE CONVINCE YOU THAT YOUR WRONG OR BAD. YOUR HUMAN. THAT IS ALL!!
    friends4me

Answer by friends4me at 10:39 PM on Jul. 2, 2008

• I would read up on OTHER religious beliefs and see if another one suits you better. If you're CONTINUALLY having doubts and keep going in and out chances are you'd be better off researching other beliefs and find one that encompasses your own beliefs rather than someone else's. I would start out at beliefnet or religioustolerance.com
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 8:10 AM on Jul. 3, 2008

• yes i am with kristi u should read in other religions  and always ask God to lead u to the right direction

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:54 AM on Jul. 3, 2008

• yes i am with kristi u should read in other religions and always ask God to lead u to the right direction

OK that is a complete contradiction. The POINT of researching other religions is to get an understanding of them and possibly find one that would encompass her beliefs instead of her trying to change her beliefs to encompass a religion.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 9:10 AM on Jul. 3, 2008

• well there is no contradiction she wants to know where the truth is maybe she is wrong maybe she is not by reading in other religions they will know if she should stick what she knows or she was wrong and needs to find the religion that suits her
    and cuz she is lost and there is a God that knows that she is lost i told her to ask him to lead her to the way she makes her feel she made the right thing whether she changes her religion or stay in what she always belived in
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:23 AM on Jul. 3, 2008

• I researched other religions. It will either show you that Christianity isn't for you or renew your faith in it.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 9:23 AM on Jul. 3, 2008

• OK anonymous let me spell this out for you, you seem a little slow. If she asks 'god" to guide her while she is researching other religions then she would NOT be keeping an open mind in regards to those other religions because she would be basing her interpretation of those other religions on what "god" says ( another's beliefs Not her own), which we ALL know is "they are false and they are evil".
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 9:30 AM on Jul. 3, 2008

• ok u made yr point thank u :) but it wasn nice to say that i am slow but thank u for explaining
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:38 AM on Jul. 3, 2008

• IMO doubting will normally come and go if you are thougthful and curious about how life works. I ask God to help me with it. There is a phrase I heard, "Lord, I believe, help my unbelief". You wouldn't be human if you weren't rethinking from time to time. God understands this and He is more than willing to help us through. Sometimes, I just say, "Lord, you know what I need." when I am wondering if He is still there. Accept this as natural and keep searching for the truth in the situations causing you to wonder.
    manna1qd

Answer by manna1qd at 9:47 AM on Jul. 3, 2008