stopping sibling fighting

iIdid all the grounding. They play games and ball together. We do family things together. It just seems like my 17yr old is so angry. But when i talk to him about things he says there is nothing wrong.

buttssyl000

Asked by buttssyl000 at 6:47 PM on Oct. 6, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• i too have a 17yr old and yes he fights with his brothers and sister but that is okay because he has feelings , as long as he talks out his anger then hit it is not aloud in our house rules,between the ages of 13 to 19 they don't now if they are coming or going, give him time he will need to find his footing and when he does you will have great son so hang in there mom
    dutchcanadain

Answer by dutchcanadain at 6:56 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• Have you considered talking to your 17yr old about how his actions could impact your younger son? It could make him lack self esteem, feel unloved or even cause him to bully others. I mean those are just sometimes that potentially could happen. He could also lack respect for his older brother and as time goes on, and you are no longer there or their father - who will they rely on, who will be there family? We all want family, and going through life without can be really hard. I'd try that.
    I know some of that worked with my older son, he use to call his brother stupid all the time and say very demeaning things about his intelligence. All the punishment in the world didn't help, I finally said you know what your brother looks up to you, and the things you say are going to have a life long impact on him if you don't stop it. He has trouble in school because you tell him he's stupid, not because he is.
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 7:04 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• Cont...it worked for the most part, the boys are close (they are 4 years apart) and my older son takes the initiative now to help when my son has problems in school. He also helps coach my son's baseball team and he encourages and stands up for him in football. He is always telling people how great is younger brother is at football. It took some time,but it did work. Reinforcing the importance can be effective as well as the damage they are doing to someone else.
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 7:07 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• I have 3 sons, 22, 20 and 10. the two older boys began a sibling rivalry when the older one was about 12. I was worried about it for years, they seems to really dislike each other. But, after my oldest son was deployed to Afhganistan and wounded by an IED, he became another person. He is a Marine, they are egotistical and have a god complex. But now, he calls his brother a lot and they play XBOX live together all the time. They seem to like each other now, although they still fight. I think it takes time, but as children mature, they seem to come to the realization that "blood is thicker than water".
    Bagofwind

Answer by Bagofwind at 5:16 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• I had this problem and the states step in. They got the both of my preteen help now he plays football and she play basket ball. They work together and when they are mad they stay away from each other.
    dorotheabrown37

Answer by dorotheabrown37 at 7:26 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• I have a 16 yr old daughter and a 10 yr old son, somethimes she can be sooo mean to him, I explained to her that he looks up to you and some day when you two grow up hes either gonna have good memories of you or bad thats your choice not to mention hes gonna be bigger than you and be able to kick your butt! She chilled out for the most part but they still have thier moments.
    anichols1

Answer by anichols1 at 9:19 AM on Oct. 8, 2010