ONLY CHILD...

why is it that a lot of people have a hard time accepting the decision of some parent only having or wanting one child....??? i have 3 kids but i have friends with 1 child and some get bashed and to me its ridicules...if all you want is one child oh well your decision...i have 2 friends that can not be around each other due to this problem it is too annoying...
a lot say the child will be sad to not have brothers and sisters but looking back i would have loved to be an only child...lol

iNk-FrEaK

Asked by iNk-FrEaK at 7:21 PM on Oct. 6, 2010 in General Parenting

• There is a misconception that siblings=happiness. Studies have proven over and over and OVER again that only children turn out to be well-adjusted adults who relate well to others.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 7:38 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• To each their own. I don't bash, but I can agree with the not having brothers and sisters thing too. I have two brothers and could not imagine my life without them. My DH has two siblings as well, and when his mother died, they were there for him. They could be there even MORE than I could, for with his siblings they could remember the past with their mother, and reminisce. That was such a great source of healing for all of them-just being TOGETHER.

KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 7:27 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• I'm not an only child, but so far my son is. I cant look into the future so I'm not sure if he will have a brother or sister anytime soon. I am happy to be a mother at all! He is a very happy toddler, he isnt spoiled, he's very polite, social and independant. I would like to have 2 children, but if one is all I have, I still feel very blessed.
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 7:27 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• My daughter will more than likely be an only child. She definantly was not planned but a welcome surprise for me. I didn't think I'd ever have kids, I just didn't want one. After going through the pregnancy and childbirth, I know I don't want anymore and take many precautions to not have another!
    michelle121003

Answer by michelle121003 at 7:31 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• Here's a good website:

http://www.kidsgrowth.com/resources/articledetail.cfm?id=1798

It discusses common only child myths.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 7:40 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• I think it's so unfair to be that way. My SIL would have loved more than one but because of health problems could not. So many people don't realize what is behind the decision to have one child.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:52 PM on Oct. 6, 2010