what age did your kids start washing themselves and washing their own hair?

A friend of mine said her DD now 7 has been washing herself and hair since she was 4. But my DD is 5, but she can't wash her own hair yet. She will wash her body, but I have to wash her hair because she doesn't get it all wet. I thought at 4 they couldn't get all the soap out of their hair, but maybe they can. How old was yours when they started washing their hair?

mommy5409

Asked by mommy5409 at 7:22 PM on Oct. 6, 2010 in General Parenting

• I think it's different for each kid. My oldest is 4, and although we encourage him to wash himself, he has no interest in it and won't do it. My 3yo on the other hand, is more than happy to wash himself, but simply can't wash his hair yet...
    So I would say it's something each child has to do on their own time.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 7:27 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• My children started at 3 but we would always check to make sure all of the soap was out (and they got assistance washing if they seemed to be missing spots)
    seturkey

Answer by seturkey at 7:29 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• my daughter does her body..but her hair is down to her bum, and she cant wash it..shes 6
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 7:30 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• My son is 6 and still no washing his hair or even his body well, I have to help. Then again he is developmentally delayed...
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:40 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• my daughter is now 11 and has been taking showers on her for own for so long i can't even remember. i do know i haven't been allowed in the bathroom for over 2 years, so probably when she was about 8ish she was on her own and doing a great job with her body, but the hair was always a struggle. now she's good about washing it real good and rinsing it (gotta have pretty hair for the boys i guess).
    hwahl

Answer by hwahl at 7:55 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• DD will be 4 next month..
    She can wash her body really good, but not her hair. Maybe in the next 6mo though? Who knows..
    Her hair is REALLY LONG (to her butt) so its difficult for me to wash. so im in no rush or expecting her to be doing it yet...
    I will be happy the day she starts BRUSHING her own hair though!
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 9:05 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

wow how do you get her hair to grow that long lol. My DD is well will be 5.5 at the end of the month and her hair is a little amove her back and it is funny that it is thst short because I have never cut her hair the only thing I do is trim it I have never taken more off than a trim of split ends and her hair has never been that long lol
    mommy5409

Comment by mommy5409 (original poster) at 7:35 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• my daughter is 2, washes her own body and hair (with help if needed) i started letting her do it herself and just remind her if she misses a spot so hopefully she will be able to soon without help (4-5)
    Ross2010

Answer by Ross2010 at 9:59 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• ya, im so jealous of her hair..LOL its just not fair!! her hair has been down to her bum since before she was 3. i even got about 6 inches chopped off last year..it grows sooo fast! heres a pic, it was taken in august

Photobucket
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 10:21 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• my kids started showering and washing once they started kindergarten. my boys had no issues with hair. my daughter is almost 7 and she has gotten better at rinsing after she turned 6. i check in once to see if she has any trouble or left in soap.
    stargazer74

Answer by stargazer74 at 12:53 PM on Oct. 7, 2010