Have you used "Your Baby Can Read?"

I have purchased the collection for my daughter and it's working so far. She's 17 months and can identify so many words by acting them out. Have any of you tried this out? If so... how's it working for you so far?

SweetSmeek

Asked by SweetSmeek at 7:33 PM on Oct. 6, 2010 in General Parenting

• my aunt has it and she said it works well...idk i guess it is worth a try
    iNk-FrEaK

Answer by iNk-FrEaK at 7:48 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• No, I see no need. I am perfectly content reading to my daughter until she can read for herself. I see no point in putting infants in class. I'm not bashing, only stating how I feel about this product. By the way, they are not learning to read...it's using memory, not phonetics and learning by letters.....simply memory. I think it's a huge waste of money.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 7:50 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• I just don't understand the benefit. Seems to me that they would still be in the same place starting pre-k or kindergarten. Still needing to learn basic phonics but then with no ultimate goal, reading. I have never actually heard of anyone using this program but I see this same question at least a few times a month on here. I'm not really sure how they are still in business. lol.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:58 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• They actually do learn to read by word recognition with the program. My daughter sees a word and is able to identify it and she's only 17months. I do read to her every night as well. I think it's perfectly fine to stimulate their minds and it's working for us.
    SweetSmeek

Comment by SweetSmeek (original poster) at 9:53 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• If you can afford it, it's definitely worth it. Flash cards are great too.
    SweetSmeek

Comment by SweetSmeek (original poster) at 9:54 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• I think our society is determined to create a bunch of little geniuses instead of allowing our children to learn naturally. Reading to your child is one of the most important things you can do and that will help them read when they are ready. Let these BABIES be BABIES! Just my opinion! :)
    armyofmany

Answer by armyofmany at 10:09 PM on Oct. 6, 2010