Do you know what happens when public education funding is cut? You pay out of pocket TWICE for it!

Yep, our local public school was just closed last year. Pre-K through kindergarten programs were completely cut from moving the kids to other local schools in the area to save on bussing. Kids cannot attend even if their parents take them there.

Parents, grandparents, and other family members are paying high property taxes to pay for schooling that we are not getting.

Kindergarten is still a requirement so the city is providing their teachers to local day cares. We as parents now have to pay a daycare fee so our kids can attend Pre-K and Kindergarten. At $140 a week for just the three hour a day session, it is expensive.

What do you think of this situation?

girlneffy

Asked by girlneffy at 9:57 AM on Oct. 25, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• I think it's tragic. A local county in my area could not agree on a budget and the children went without school for two months, still no word on what's going to happen on how they are going to make that up. My husband is K-6 teacher and he didn't have a job for the first month of the year and now has to drive just about as far as it is possible to drive across the city to go to a different school, but we are grateful he has a job!
    KnoxvilleDoula

Answer by KnoxvilleDoula at 10:04 AM on Oct. 25, 2008

• Home school parents pay taxes and pay for their own children's schooling expenses. I would not just sit around waiting for the schools to open--I would start teaching them myself instead of waiting for the government to get their act together.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:12 AM on Oct. 25, 2008

• I don't think that was her point. If kindergarten is required by law then there HAS to be a free option for kindergarten. You can't say it is "required" and then have a tuition on it. What if that family can't afford to pay the tuition. It isn't like it is their choice to send the kid to that daycare or whatever.
    My kids go to a private school (for various reasons) and we suck it up and pay the tuition because it is our choice.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 11:05 AM on Oct. 25, 2008

• What state do you live in? Kinderfarden isn't required here. AL. Are you sure it's required and not was just an option? I agree with Anon. I'd homeschool their happy butts. It's not about proving a point it's about your kids education!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:20 AM on Oct. 25, 2008

• heehee.............. kindergarten. I spell checked it and it still looks funny!

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:22 AM on Oct. 25, 2008

• Compared to here that is cheap, $250, for pre-school and pre k.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:40 AM on Oct. 25, 2008

• Well, first off I'm sorry you are dealing with this terrible situation.

I'm a former elementary school teacher in a suburb of Atlanta, Ga. I've found the public school system to be soooooooo broken and I seriously don't think either candidate can fix it. Not vouchers nor throwing more money at the problem will help. It really needs to be scraped and completely start over from scratch to rebuild the education system in this country.

cont-
    Anonymous

• Also, I don't think parents realize all the things teachers do and buy with their own money. We only got $200 for the whole year to buy supplies, visual learning posters, bulletin board items, etc. I usually spent well over $1,000 of my OWN money to pay for things in my classroom.

And I had parents who were rude, obnoxious and didn't care about their child's education. They had NO idea that I was spending my own money for their child. The system is broken and needs a complete overhaul! I could go on and on, but I won't! :-)
    Anonymous

• Oh I hear that... working for the school system last year I brought in craft after craft, my husband I have to decorate his school room, that $200 per year is for EVERYTHING the whole year.
    KnoxvilleDoula

Answer by KnoxvilleDoula at 5:28 PM on Oct. 25, 2008