pregnancy appointments might get me fired

I am 8 weeks pregnant and I had an appt today. I notified my employer that day because it was an emergency appt. I was over an hour late coming back from lunch and got scolded for being late. I am making up the hours today and tomorrow but am worried about being fired for tardiness. I am also in the process of looking for an ob/gyn who has later hours so I am not taking off work. I am so worried about my job.
Can they fire me for being tardi for pregnancy related issues?

Merediths_Mommy

Asked by Merediths_Mommy at 7:40 PM on Oct. 6, 2010 in Money & Work

• No. That's discrimination.
    Chell.o_0

Answer by Chell.o_0 at 7:42 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• you can not get fired if you do you find a good lawyer and you sue your job...
    iNk-FrEaK

Answer by iNk-FrEaK at 7:42 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• They can fire you for not doing your job, they can not fire you for being pregnant. If your pregnancy prevents you form doing your job then they can let you go. This includes tardiness and calling in ect... It may vary state to state.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:43 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• do they know you are pregnant?? have you explained the circumstances you listed here?? they shouldnt be able to fire you for that..but i would explain it all to them..good luck!! and congrats on being pregnant :)
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 7:44 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• No, but can't you schedule your appointments after work?
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 7:47 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• they aren't supose to, but they can is sad as it is. I lost my job when I was 7 months pregnant with my first. They more than likely wont say that is why they are firing you though since it isn't aloud. I was told before they new I was pregnant that I was doing good to keep up the good work then after they found out and I started going to appointments they said my work has been being done poorly. How can I go from good to bad? I talked to an atternoy that said I had a case, but I didn't go through with it. I should have though. The thing is I worked 12 hours 3 days a week and every other Saturday then manditory overtime so I had to leave work early at times to go to my appointments I tried to make them on my days off. I made them as late as I could though so I didn't have to come back to work. So my appointments were made at like 6. I worked 7am-7pm now I am a stay at home mom and have been since 7 months with first
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 7:48 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• they can't fire you for having appointments but if you are late to work they can. Its better to say you need the afternoon off then to squeeze an appointment in during your lunch. Make sure you keep documentation of your appointments and conversations with your supervisor.
    seturkey

Answer by seturkey at 7:55 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• they can not fire you from you job. You are covered by the FMLA act. So you talk with your HR director. Fmla ( family medical leave act) it excuses you from work for any medical reasons. you are allowed up to 12 weeks of fmla a year
    lchristianson5

Answer by lchristianson5 at 8:08 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• They can fire you from your job if you work in an at-will state. If that's the case, they don't have to give you any reason as to why you've been fired. Find out if you work in an at-will state. If you don't, better for you and it could be discrimination if they fired you then.
    gumby11883

Answer by gumby11883 at 8:20 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• Just give them the date of your next appt every time you get back from the last one. Thats what I did and had no problems in my workplace. Where do you work?
    jenellemarie

Answer by jenellemarie at 8:43 PM on Oct. 6, 2010