Online education?

Has anyone had any luck with online training, both the learning and then actually getting a job afterwards? What did you use? I'm thinking about going to school for psychology and would LOVE to learn at home at my own pace, especially with four kids to worry about. Any tips or suggestions would be great!!

jenettyshome

Asked by jenettyshome at 10:01 AM on Oct. 25, 2008 in Money & Work

• First off it is somewhat at your own pace. You still have deadlines to meet and often you have to actually take proctored tests at local colleges... around their schedule of course while paying extra out of pocket for the proctor services.

Also, you may want to rethink your choice of program. Psychology is pretty much general education and does not point to any certain type of employment other than those lower paying jobs that require you to have a degree of some sort. I learned this through my college friends that had to go back to school to get a more specific degree.

Personally, I love online schooling and it will be easier for you with your four children. I think you should talk to a counselor at the school you would like to attend so you get a good idea as to what to expect and what is expected of you.
    girlneffy

Answer by girlneffy at 10:08 AM on Oct. 25, 2008

• Check out this website, and read some of my articles: www.glimpses.synthasite.com. It has some ideas about online photography and what you have to be aware of...
    pupmom

Answer by pupmom at 11:14 AM on Oct. 25, 2008

• Be careful with online education, be sure to go to an accredited college preferable one that you are close to that offers online courses, and that can be transferable incase you choose to further your education at the BA MA level. The little fine print with these online colleges say that most credits are NOT transferable.....BE aware.

www.Donathantravel.com
    CheerTravelMom

Answer by CheerTravelMom at 4:15 PM on Oct. 25, 2008

• My girlfriend got her degree to be a medical transcriptionist online. I have to admit, I was really skeptical. She just graduated and found a job working from home in a matter of weeks.

I finished my Bachelor's degree online. I went through a local university -- *so* many have online degrees. The best part is no employer can tell if you were sitting in a classroom or online. It's not like graduating from an online university where people might question the quality.
    Serafyna

Answer by Serafyna at 5:33 PM on Oct. 25, 2008

• I'm getting my master's online through Everest University. It is 100% accredited and you can get student loans and grants to pay tuition. They do have a schedule to follow but it's pretty easy. I believe they have a pyschology program also.
    legalmom343

Answer by legalmom343 at 6:31 PM on Oct. 25, 2008