developmental delay?

ok so my 3 yr old son has been screaming for no reason since he was 2, i was told that he would grow out of it and he did for a while but he has just started up again. its like an ear piercing looooooong scream that drives me insane and it comes out of nowhere for no reason. also it seems like his speech development is delayed- i mean he does talk sometimes and he can count to 20 in english and 10 in spanish and he knows how to say thank you in 4 languages (thank you nick jr.... lol) also he knows words for things that he wants like juice, crackers, cheese, so on and so forth. but he wont make complete sentences and he would rather scream and cry and pull on me to get what he wants instead of saying can i have this or that. also if i ask him questions he wont answer me like if i ask him how old he is he stares at me and when i say "say im 3 yrs old!" he just laughs- if u ask him his name its the same- what can I do here.. cont

lovelyli217

Asked by lovelyli217 at 8:02 PM on Oct. 6, 2010 in General Parenting

• cont... at home to build his communication skills and prepare him for when he goes to kindergarten? I know thats not for another 2 yrs but i would like to get a head start just incase it is a developmental delay. i know that something is not right because my 2 older kids were speaking in full sentences and writing their own names at this age and it also seems like my one yr old is going to catch up to my 3 yr old soon because hes picking up things that im trying to teach the 3 yr old already lol. thanks in advance
    lovelyli217

Comment by lovelyli217 (original poster) at 8:05 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• This is about the age I started questioning my son. He was diagnosed as Asperger's at 5 and a half. I kept writing it off as me not disciplining correctly. It was my fault, I was doing something wrong to make him act like that. lol. Looking back my son also had a lot of fears and quirks I never noticed because he was my first. A lot of people are going to answer you by saying it is perfectly normal or that you should be more consistent. I want to tell you that it will be hard ot get a real feel until he is in school but if you are questioning things now then talk to his ped now. The earlier it is caught the better the outcome. If you have any questions feel free to ask me!
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:07 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• I'd start with your pediatrician. Let him/her know that you are concerned your son may be behind in some areas. Your pediatrician can refer you to a private speech therapist or whatever public programs might be available in your area. You can have him tested for speech or other delays. If he's behind, you can get him help, and if he's not behind you'll feel better knowing that. You can also check with the local public school system to see what resources they might have available for preschool age children (Early Intervention generally ends at age 3, and the school system takes over at that point). My son is also 3 and is currently seeing a private speech therapist for speech delay. I originally thought he was significantly behind because I was comparing him to his twin sister and his older sister, but it turned out that they were advanced and he was only slightly behind.

TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 8:28 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• But Mommie is absolutely right. Talk to his pediatrician. My son has classic autism. When you said he does that ear piercing scream, it reminded me so much of my son. Talk to your doctor and see what is going on. Early intervention is what is needed if there is a developmental delay or autism or aspergers. Good luck, Mama!
    duckigrrl

Answer by duckigrrl at 8:30 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• have you had him screened for autism? sounds similar to my nephew and gd sister w early help a high functioning child is possible most people cannot tell now that my god sister is and my nephew is only 4 but is making huge strides and doing a lot better
    Kre10

Answer by Kre10 at 9:10 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• I agree with the PP's - talk to his pedi. Also, maybe check into a screening for head start. I didn't know this before, but it IS specifically for kids that tend to or are predisposed to having trouble learning to help them in advance. I thought it was for kids who WERE advanced....I know I will get bashed for this, but I have to ask anyway: did this screaming start around the same time he recvd vaccines? Lots of hugs to you!
    Babylove76

Answer by Babylove76 at 1:24 AM on Oct. 7, 2010