Do you think kids of SAHM have more self confidence than those Moms whom work or Vice Versa?

WHy or why not?

I dont really have an opinion but htought it would be a good debate and am interested in your thoughts.

coolchic320

Asked by coolchic320 at 8:10 PM on Oct. 6, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• I think it depends on how the parent working or stay at home carries themselve.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 8:12 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• It's really the parenting style, not the working choices IMO.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 8:13 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• I think it totally depends on the parents and their values. I am a SAHM and I love it, but for another woman it might be too stressful and she needs that outlet. To each, their own. What works for one family, may not work for the next.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 8:13 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• No. Confidence has nothing to do with ones working status or at least working status alone. Confidence is a asset not a side effect.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:14 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• I think it just overall depends on the child's demeanor, not so much the parents.
    skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 8:15 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• I don't think the children of SAHMs are more confident, I can't think of a reason why they would be..? My mom was a single parent who worked and I went to different babysitters and in-home care places (until I started school) and I liked the social part of it because I wasn't stuck at home with my mom all day lol! It did make the weekends special to be able to spend the entire day with her though.
    Evansmommy91

Answer by Evansmommy91 at 8:15 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• ok..I'm going to play the devil
    s advocate...are working parents around the kids enough to REALLy make that influence or is it more the caregiver?
    coolchic320

Comment by coolchic320 (original poster) at 8:16 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• I think it's completely situational. If a child is staying home with an abusive parent, then the child may have poor self confidence. If a child is either extremely sensitive, or at a bad/overcrowded daycare, that situation may also cause poor self-confidence.

Some kids thrive in a group environment, some do much better in a one-on-one situation. I do personally think that the first 3-5 years are very important for building security and that staying home with my kids is very important for that, but others have different situations and it's completely possible for a child to get all the attention they need with an alternative caregiver. Basically, it's not a default either way. It is something you need to pay attention to.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 8:16 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• just any fyi..I agree that it doesn't really matter..as far if you work or not..
    coolchic320

Comment by coolchic320 (original poster) at 8:17 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• I think the fact that the mother works or doesnt work isnt the main factor.

sahlady

Answer by sahlady at 8:19 PM on Oct. 6, 2010