do the risks of a miscarriage go down after the heartbeat is seen?

just curious

AshJoe05

Asked by AshJoe05 at 8:24 PM on Oct. 6, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Yes it does. I used to know these numbers but I believe it drops to 10% when a heartbeat is seen via u/s then drops to less than 5% after 12 weeks.
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 8:34 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• I don't think the risk goes down, but the likelyhood does for sure!
    MomToAyla743

Answer by MomToAyla743 at 8:28 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• likelihood goes down every week but you are considered out of the 'danger zone' at 12 weeks.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:31 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• Yes, 12 weeks usually means you're in the clear, but not always. My friend, a year ago, lost her baby at 15 weeks........it was awful, she had thought she was in the clear. I lost my son at 22 weeks due to preterm labor 10 years ago, unspeakably awful. So there's always a chance. The only thing you can do is eat right, follow doctor's orders and not stress yourself out. Best wishes to you!
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 8:36 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• Bridget- I know all of that too well, We lost a baby at 29 weeks, so I am a little nervous....
    AshJoe05

Comment by AshJoe05 (original poster) at 8:43 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• they told me my risk went down to 5 percent after seeing the heartbeat and down to 1 percent after we saw her move, weve had 4 first trimester losses
    Kre10

Answer by Kre10 at 9:00 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• seeing the heart beat has nothing to do with a miscarry-- a miss 13 weeks and under is generally a problem with the POC (or embryo) so usually without intervention genetic malformations abort themselves in this time period -although there are some other things that can cause a malforming pregnancy (like use of drug alcohol and ibuprofen) its usually genetic

greater then 13 weeks and a miscarry is something is wrong with Mom
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 10:34 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• I oost a baby at 29 weeks and it had nothing to do with me, so thats not always true melrn.
    AshJoe05

Comment by AshJoe05 (original poster) at 10:11 AM on Oct. 8, 2010