dose anyone have a child with hydrocephalus?

if so how has it been we just found out thats what our son has and he gose tomorrow for a CT then we go from there i have never heard of this befor untill now so any advice or if you would like to tell me what you have went threw would be great thank you

devinalexis

Asked by devinalexis at 8:51 PM on Oct. 6, 2010 in General Parenting

• When my son was 12 years old he was punched in the head at school he suffered three brain hemorages and hydrocephalus they had to put a drain in his head. The fluid in his spine had to do with the head trauma that he had indured. After several surgeries and a permanant shunt he is now doing fine except now he has to deal with the after effects of U.C and may come down with Chron's disease sometimes being a mom is the hardest job in the world.
    Darla47

Answer by Darla47 at 8:56 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• my son is going to be 6 months and it took them this long to figure out what was going on with him how did he do with the shunt and how long did he have to keep it in
    devinalexis

Comment by devinalexis (original poster) at 9:00 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• He is now 23 and still has the shunt! He is doing well with it and really does'nt need it any more but after all he has been through we decided not to have him go through another brain surgery! He has had about 18 all together. He was born with an AVM and when he was punched it triggered it! I am so sorry to hear about your baby. I wish you all the the best! The best Dr for the brain is here in New York not sure where you are from! We had Dr. Swaden he was chief of neuro surgery in Cornel Hospital in Manhattan.
    Darla47

Answer by Darla47 at 9:13 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• im glad he is doing better we are in georgia also a military family i am lucky my husband is home right now so he is helping out alot with the other two kids while i take him to the doctors
    devinalexis

Comment by devinalexis (original poster) at 9:18 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• Thank you, I hope everything works out out o.k if you need anything just contact me!
    Darla47

Answer by Darla47 at 9:24 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• Not familiar with it but I bumped because if I was in your shoes I would want it bumped to gain awareness! Good luck and prayers to you and your family!
    Babylove76

Answer by Babylove76 at 1:13 AM on Oct. 7, 2010

• I have hydrocephalus and have had a shunt since age 27. I am now 50. I've had 13 surgeries since 1987 to place and then make corrections to my shunt. No problems since 2002.
    plclemo

Answer by plclemo at 8:31 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• I would like to know how everything is going with your baby. my baby is 8 months old and i have been taking him back to the dr since he was 2 months old for the same symptoms. they always have pushed me away saying he is fine, he is teething, maybe feed him before bed, he has behavioral problems, and so on. i was persistent! and finally a week and a half ago my went went with me to the dr and made them listen. I had bad complications in my pregnancy, my baby had Cysts on his brain. so they ordered an ultrasound of his brain which we had done this week. the dr also look back at his chart and noticed that his head has grown rapidly over the past few months. the ultrasound showed he has extra space and extra fluid so he will be going for an mri on wednesday and we will go from there. im most scared at this point about the sedation. Let me know how everything is going.
    ProudMommy51006

Answer by ProudMommy51006 at 9:00 AM on Nov. 12, 2010