Are you getting the flu mist for your child this year?

We have a checkup scheduled tomorrow and he wants to give DD (5) the flu mist instead of the flu shot. She has never had the flu shot, never had the flu. But I am worried about her getting the flu mist, and getting the flu from it.

minivanmommy

Asked by minivanmommy at 8:52 PM on Oct. 6, 2010 in Kids' Health

• My kids both had it on Tuesday. They said it smelled bad but no side effects.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:54 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• Nope! for some odd reason, I am afraid of them.
    My doctor pushes them for the toddlers and elderly.

websavvy1
    http://nearnew.ecrater.com/
    websavvy1

Answer by websavvy1 at 8:55 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• My oldest son gets it every year. I didn't used to get him the shot, but then, when he was 4 he got the flu. He was very ill for a week and a half. I was off of work for 8 days.
    I know the flu shot is not a definite, but I felt so guilty that I thought "Oh, he doesn't need it" and then he go SOOOO sick and I had done NOTHING to try to prevent it.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 9:04 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• In my family, we agree no flu shots for any of us.
    duckigrrl

Answer by duckigrrl at 9:08 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• we all get the shots I don't want to do the mist I am actaully afraid to since we always did the shot. I heard of people getting real sick after the mist
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 9:11 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• Nope, we don't do the shot either though..
    LovableNeurotic

Answer by LovableNeurotic at 9:17 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• No flu vaccines for this family!
    Robsmommy

Answer by Robsmommy at 9:26 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• no, last year my son got the mist for the first time(he had always had the shot before) he was very sick for about 4 days, My husband gets the mist every year at work and he never feels well for a few days afterward. We have never had any problems with the shot though.
    foxracing43701

Answer by foxracing43701 at 9:34 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• No way in h***. It is NOT up to your doctor - if you don't want her having the mist, you do NOT have to let them give it to her! If you were planning to get the shot, insist on that - but don't let them push you into the mist instead. If you were still undecided whether to give it to her at all - don't let them talk you into it until YOU make YOUR decision! They cannot give your child anything you do not approve of first!
    Anonymous

• We have never gotten a flu shot or mist. On one hand I say, Well, they have never had the flu, but they have never had polio or measles or whatever, but we still get those vaccines. Hmm....
    minivanmommy

Comment by minivanmommy (original poster) at 10:07 PM on Oct. 6, 2010