Why,seriously, do people think someone isn't going to hire you because of your NAME. lol

Like they don't have middle names or nick names of initials to go by if the company is worried about it. My DH works with a guy who's name is Leather. It's on his business cards no worries. lol.

But_Mommie

Asked by But_Mommie at 9:13 PM on Oct. 6, 2010 in General Parenting

• i don't know but i think thats name discrimination ...lol
    iNk-FrEaK

Answer by iNk-FrEaK at 9:15 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• Leather....well if I was his wife, I would insist my nickname be Lace. And sing the song Leather and Lace. LOL Sorry, that's just the first thing that popped in my head. Too cool.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 9:18 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• there is a difference between leather and shaniqua...
    xanayda

Answer by xanayda at 9:22 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• Lmao xanayda that was great!

I think we have so many different names out there today..
    I have a friend who named her daughter Nevaeh which is heaven spelled backwards
    ajc88

Answer by ajc88 at 9:25 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• Often I find it is about discriminating against names from other cultures and communities such as the African-American community. I hear so often how horrible it is to name your child something like Quanisha or DaVonte. The assumption is those names are "weird" and so many parents suggest it is cruel or mean to name your child something that other (white) people can't pronounce (teachers, coaches, future employers). The reality is a name is the first gift a parent bestows upon a child.  It is a parent's right to name their child, proudly, a name from their family, country of origin, or anything they find unique or interesting.  I work with people from all over the world in a professional capacity and with families in the community.  I can honestly say many coworkers have had those "ethnic" names that so many other parents complain of.  Hasn't stopped them from being a doctor, lawyer or Indian Chief.

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 10:53 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• Some companies do skip applications with funky names in favor of more traditional ones.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 9:15 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• They can't legally skip over someone based on name. I mean ask your boss or DH boss if they do that. I bet the answer is no. If they are qualified they are qualified.
    But_Mommie

Comment by But_Mommie (original poster) at 9:17 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• If I can't pronounce the first name, I skip the ap
    Anonymous

• I almost was discriminated against (if you CAN be) for my name. I was 19, but my boss had no idea of my age from my resume. I was referred to the company by a VP in another branch. The director of HR interviewed me. In the interview she told me that she almost didn't call me because of my name. She said that she expected a hippie, and she was interviewing for her assistant. She said she was very thankful she called me anyway, since I was nothing like what my name sounded like.

In other jobs, when I'm in connection with the public, I have had to change the name on my name tag because of comments about my name.

This is why I hate hearing hippie sounding names. I know they're going to have problems later when they want a job.
    corbysmom531

Answer by corbysmom531 at 9:28 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• I have a Doctor named Angel. A male Doctor. He goes by A. Louis. SO if someone wants to name their kid Shaniqua Renee She can go by S. Renee. It's not rocket science. plus it's so common for this next generation to have weird names it won't be an issue.
    Anonymous