ugh, how to get hubby to forget passing on his family name

When i was little i named everything Eugene.. and wanted to name a little fat dog i always dreamed of getting Eugene.. because i thought it was so "old and dorky" that I liked it (i was a little girl) Now.. my husbands middle name is Eugene.. and his fathers middle name is Eugene, as well as his fathers i think.. we have 3 girls so have never had this problem before, and now were having a boy! he wants his middle name to be EUGENE. when i think of it i think of my little girl dolls and toys and stuff i HATE IT (no offense to those who have used that name, or like it, it just brings back little kid memories for me..not something i would want to name my son)

So my question is, do i just allow it? It means a lot to him so id be okay with doing it, just would prefer not too. and is Liam a strong enough name to make Eugene look okay? Ohh the decisions...

vvlinley21

Asked by vvlinley21 at 9:23 PM on Oct. 6, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I am not sure I don't know why guys feel the need to name their son after them lol. DH is Joshua Wade his middle name is after his dad. My DH wants me to let him name our son (if we ever have one) after him, but I keep telling him no. Anything but Joshua lol
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 9:24 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• I love Liam, my hubby hates it. So we don't have one... But it is the middle name, our boys actually both have 2 middle names... but anyways, Liam Eugene is fine. Afterall, family traditions do mean something later on more so than now.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 9:26 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• Here is just an idea- what if you put Eugene as the middle name but did a hyphenated middle name.. for example- Eugene-whatever your choice is.

It seems like it would be something important to him. at least its not the first name. my husband wanted me to name our son Barry Lee Jr.. im just not into the whole junior thing. So i let him pick the first name out :) compromise compromise. it will always work! good luck
    MamaHardy2008

Answer by MamaHardy2008 at 9:26 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• I dunno. How about starting a new tradition. Using DH first name as DS middle or DH mothers maiden name...
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 9:40 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• If it's that important to him I'd just suck it up and give the middle name Eugene. Compromise, something that means alot to him like passing on his families middle name versus you just "not liking" it, I say just give him this one =)
    skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 9:42 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• You are lucky he doesnt want it to be the first name! LoL...my Husband wanted to name our son after his Great Grandpa ELDO. We compromised with EldoN and his middle name is my Husbands middle name, his Fathers first name and his Father's Father's first name as well. It is a very special name and meant SO much to my Husband and the rest of his family. Eugene is not a bad name at all, and I LOVE the name Liam. Most people never even question a middle name. My friend just named her son Rufus. :)
    My guess is, it means alot more to Husband than it does to you and once he is here, it will grow on you. You hardly ever even use it unless he's in trouble, in which case you arent even paying attention to what you are yelling, just what he is doing.
    jenellemarie

Answer by jenellemarie at 9:43 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• When we found out I was pregnant with a boy, he wanted to do something to honor his grandfather. There was no way I was letting them name Lester get anywhere near my child!! LOL!! We decided to pick one of his grandfather's middle names (he had two) as a middle name for our son. We used the middle name that Lester used .
    You could just go for two middle names. Lester only used the one. In fact, my DH didn't even realize that his grandfather had two until I discovered it when I was doing geneology research.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 9:47 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• I'm not really sure what to tell you. It's really something that the two of you have to come to an agreement on. I know that keeping the family name "Alexander" wasn't important to my husband, but for some reason it was to me. We had a girl and her middle names are Alexis (instead of Alexandra, because that's my sister's name, to keep the "Alex" from DHs family) Starling (after my dad who passed away while I was pregnant). It was really important to ME to keep family names alive for some reason, but it wasn't until I got pregnant. I like the name Liam Eugene, depending on the last name. I probably wouldn't name my child Eugene, but that's just because it's pretty low on my list of boy names that I like. How did you decide on your other children's names? Did you each pick a name for each child (like you picked the first name, he picked the middle)? If it were me, I would probably go with it. Good luck!
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 10:19 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• i dont like eugene either! but if your hubby is set on it.. you may be stuck with it. either way you will love the child what ever his name is
    Ross2010

Answer by Ross2010 at 10:45 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• Just do it. Atleast he just wants it to be the middle name and not the first.
    DeegansMomma08

Answer by DeegansMomma08 at 10:50 PM on Oct. 6, 2010