If your child attends preschool (or Head Start), how do their teachers handle discipline issues?

My friend's 3 year old has been sent home 2 or 3 times for biting. It's his first experience with school (he's never even been in daycare) so I'm sure his social skills are off just slightly. But in any case, he bites, he gets sent home. Not really sure if they have attempted to do anything else and this is is the last straw. I don't see that sending him home is teaching him anything except that if he doesn't want to be at school, all he has to do is bite someone. What do you think?

My son has some slight behavioral issues (whining and crying if he doesn't get his way). They are working with him to teach him that it's not acceptable and have given me tips to teach at home as well (I had not realized the problem was as bad as that, but I don't get to see him as much because I work full time and the problems were never reported to me by daycare).

thatgirl70

Asked by thatgirl70 at 9:24 PM on Oct. 6, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Doesn't sound to me like the preschool is trying to hard to address the problem (unless there's more to the story then what you've posted here.. ie is he biting multiple times during the day then getting sent home or he gets ejected without them having tried anything else). Personally, I'd speak to the teacher and/or director. The school should have a policy on dealing with behavior and how they address them. Some schools are far more willing to work with kids and parents on behavior issues than others. Biting isn't uncommon in 3 yr olds. It would make far more sense to me to pull the child out of the class for a while in timeout vs just sending him home.
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 11:41 AM on Oct. 7, 2010

• I work at a preschool. We don't send children home unless it is a NO HOPE case. The last kid that got sent home jumped off tables, hit teachers, screamed at kids, ran away, and kicked the adults. Biting would just get them seperated, because you can't let them hurt other kids.
    dancinintherain

Answer by dancinintherain at 9:30 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• i'm going to assume time out...we don't do time outs in our house. we pop her hand or her bottom and sometimes we won't have to do that. just saying a few words or giving her that look will produce a cry. and she only cries when she know she's done something wrong and we scold her. cuz she know she was wrong
    MommaSyrup07

Answer by MommaSyrup07 at 11:14 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• At my son's preschool, I believe they seperate the kids and give the biter a "chew toy." An accident report is filled out and given to both the biter and the bitees parents. I don't know at what point they send the child home, we've never got to that point.
    nmmama09

Answer by nmmama09 at 11:14 AM on Oct. 7, 2010

• momofryan07: I totally agree with you. I'm too wondering if there is more to this story than I've been told. I will hopefully have an answer later today.
    thatgirl70

Comment by thatgirl70 (original poster) at 11:43 AM on Oct. 7, 2010