Fall break is starting on Friday for my kids...

isn't it too early? I always thought it was during the Thanksgiving week?

4_28_bbboy

Asked by 4_28_bbboy at 9:25 PM on Oct. 6, 2010 in General Parenting

• Another great reason we home school. We break when we want to! We go all year round with a total of 10 weeks broken up throughout the year. It is so much better! We take all the major holidays off like everyone else, have a week off for Turkey day and Easter, 2 weeks off for Christmas and New Years, everyone's birthdays are No School days. We are actually way ahead already on our hours needed and snow days don't affect us - so I don't stress it. We document every hour we have school activities and if they are ahead, oh well! My kids only have to have school for about 3 and a half hours per day, but often have more because they like what they are learning and like to look more into it (internet) or just not stop for today's lesson and keep going. I don't stop them - why would I? They also have some PS friends they see everyday and they will often bring them home to show them what cool thing they learned!
    Babylove76

Answer by Babylove76 at 12:53 AM on Oct. 7, 2010

• I thought so
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 9:26 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• I thought so too. My kids go to different schools, prek and elementary, and they have different weeks off, what a pain in the butt!
    addynbellasmom

Answer by addynbellasmom at 9:32 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• Fall break? The kids here are off on Monday (10/11) for Columbus Day but that's it. No break again until Thanksgiving.
    thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 9:34 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• Our PS has fall break on the 22nd of this month.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 10:30 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• mine has it on the 22. but i don't understand why they do it. they only plan for the kids to be out on friday and have to go back on monday. i never heard of it until i moved to indy
    noel1978

Answer by noel1978 at 10:37 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• it is crazy..they gave friday off and monday is normally off for Columbus Day what a rip off...they only get the day before thanksgiving, Thanksgiving day, and that friday with the weekend off ...Their Winter break starts the 24th of December and ends Sunday January 2nd...
    I remember when Fall break was from the Saturday before Thanksgiving and eneded the Sunday after Thanksgiving (a Whole week) It makes it hard for us who travel to other states for holidays you know?
    4_28_bbboy

Comment by 4_28_bbboy (original poster) at 10:46 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• I think that homeschooling thing is sounding better and better :]
    4_28_bbboy

Comment by 4_28_bbboy (original poster) at 1:02 AM on Oct. 7, 2010

• ourpre-K students go to a normal elementary school, and it is on a military post, so we have a 4 day weekend for Columbus Day fri-mon, and fall break is a week beofre thanksgiving until a week after. We get muclonger breaks in the military de to schools follwing solders scheduals!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 10:32 AM on Oct. 7, 2010

• I've honestly never heard of fall break. Is this a regional thing? It's been 22 years since I graduated from high school, but I think maybe we got the week of Thanksgiving off, but nothing in October. Columbus Day wasn't even a holiday that kids got off for. That didn't go into effect until after they started closing schools/banks for Martin Luther King Jr Day which was after I graduated.
    thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 11:00 AM on Oct. 7, 2010