If your child attends preschool (or Head Start), how do their teachers handle discipline issues?

My friend's 3 year old has been sent home 2 or 3 times for biting. It's his first experience with school (he's never even been in daycare) so I'm sure his social skills are off just slightly. But in any case, he bites, he gets sent home. Not really sure if they have attempted to do anything else and this is is the last straw. I don't see that sending him home is teaching him anything except that if he doesn't want to be at school, all he has to do is bite someone. What do you think?

My son has some slight behavioral issues (whining and crying if he doesn't get his way). They are working with him to teach him that it's not acceptable and have given me tips to teach at home as well (I had not realized the problem was as bad as that, but I don't get to see him as much because I work full time and the problems were never reported to me by daycare).

thatgirl70

Asked by thatgirl70 at 9:26 PM on Oct. 6, 2010 in General Parenting

• My son is in preschool and their way to handle poor choices, if it involves two students, is to have the children work it out at the peace table. The children find a resolution. If the incident only is one child making a poor choice they are often redirected. Such as walking with the teacher in the beautiful courtyard and garden. Sometimes a child sits in a watching chair to take the time to watch their friends and then they can rejoin them. No shame is involved. It is not about punishing but about teaching and giving the child a chance to make a better choice and to find a resolution that works.

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 10:44 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• When my little one attended headstart and I was called because my son bite someone, I had a meeting with the parents of the child that got hurt by my son. I was told he was put in time out with one of the assistance during the time the other kids were playing outside. He cried because he didn't get to go outside and played. The director sit with my son and explain to him it was not appropriate to bite someone. I was also there when the director spoke to him. I also spoke to him and told him to never bite anyone again and it was okay to keep him inside for the rest of the week without having any recess. After the biting incident my son never again bite anyone else. So Keeping him inside and not play with his friend thought him a good lesson. I know it was proba bly wrong for me to do, I wanted him to learn from his mistake so keeping from playing with his friend worked.
    Fancynancy007

Answer by Fancynancy007 at 9:53 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• That would work for my DD IF she did bite but she has never done that. She loves headstart so she would hate it if they sent her home. At my 3yr old DD's headstart the teacher diciplines by taking away privleges like a dessert at lunch, or outside play time.
    L0vingMy3Girls

Answer by L0vingMy3Girls at 9:29 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• My son's preschool has resting chair. If it happens again then teacher will talk with the parents. Happens again, child is sent home. Keeps happening...depending what it is, child will no longer be allowed back to preschool.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 9:34 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• My sons school usually gives reminders then the sad chair then they are removed from the group. I've never had any issues with physically hurting another child though so I am not really sure they would send him home for that.
    seturkey

Answer by seturkey at 9:35 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• The kids are very busy doing activities and groups. They do have buses and green lights, yellow lights, and red lights. The goal is to stay in the green.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 9:51 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• mine got put in time out. they never got sent home. they had this area where they put a chair and one of this baby fences, in a corner. that way the teachers could keep an eye on them but they were in their own little area. one room had a small cot instead so they could lay down.
    noel1978

Answer by noel1978 at 10:34 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• DODEA ( army post) Pre- Kindergarten it is different) and they will remove the offending child, call BOTH parents, and handle it based on school procedure! Mind you this program Pre-K is in an elementary school for pre-K thru 6th grade, and they follow the same ules as normal students!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 10:28 AM on Oct. 7, 2010

• No idea if his school has done anything else to discipline the biting issue other than sending him home, my friend hasn't said. But I've asked her so hopefully she'll respond. If they've tried everything else to no avail, then I can understand, but if sending home is the first thing they've did... then I think it's mishandled.
    thatgirl70

Comment by thatgirl70 (original poster) at 10:50 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• frogdawg: I like that.

JoLee12345: So no attempt to correct the behavior there? Just send them home? Again, what does that teach?
    thatgirl70

Comment by thatgirl70 (original poster) at 10:32 AM on Oct. 7, 2010